Portable amp - worth looking at?
Jan 7, 2005 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tezzla

100+ Head-Fier
I am totally clueless when it comes to amps, but i was thinking of getting a portable amp to use with an Iriver H340 (its got lineout) as my source, and Sharp MD33s and Alessandro Ms-1s.

I was wondering if it was worth it looking at getting a portable amp? Will it make a noticeable difference? My budget would be around £50-70 ...

Thanks in advance!

Terry

Jan 7, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't know those phones personally, but I believe they should run fine unamped, so getting an amp may be a waste of money.

Also, it's hard to get portable amps in the UK for your budget, to be honest.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 7
I've got a 4G Ipod, MD-33's, and a new Porta Corda II hooked up with a PocketDock line out. It's mighty early, but I can tell a sizable difference. Much more full sound with deeper bass and impact. I haven't even switched mine into class A mode. I'm quite pleased with the setup for across the board listening.

The group buy is closed now, but I bet in a few months, someone here will get upgraditis and maybe fit that budget plus some. I'm not familiar with other less expensive options, though.

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 7
The Headsave Go-Vibe with the stock OPA2227 opamp is a good match for the phones you've mentioned. Its sound provides positively visceral bass and sonic textures, with a clarity and soundstage that put it substantially ahead of the sound of a cmoy - for a price that is in the vicinity of a cmoy.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Just read headsave closed
frown.gif

i guess i dont reaaaaally really really need an amp....... *twiddles fingers*
blink.gif

anyways, thanks for the replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 7
errr...one last question
smily_headphones1.gif

Which is better, an Meier Audio PCMKII (one of the group buy ones - with a mini-to-mini interconnect (not the Oehlbach one, but a good, functional one), without the 120-ohm adapter [i have no friggin idea what any of that means...]) or a MINT amp with these specs:

Dual Battery Design
AD8620 op-amp
BUF634 buffers
Panasonic 470?F power supply capacitors
Switchcraft 3.5mm mini headphone and input jacks
Panasonic 50k ohm potentiometer
Vishay/Dale mil spec resistors
Bright blue LED
Class A biased using current regulating diodes

Specifications
Model number: Pocketsized Amp
Dimensions: 150mmx78mmx20mm
Power supply: Internal

Both would be roughly the same price for me in the end...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back