Portable amp worth it for iPod touch 2g?
Aug 5, 2009 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MiFreq

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm just getting into this audio stuff, and i just bought some nuforce ne-7m headphones (16 ohm i think) to replace my vmoda bass freqs. I have a 2nd gen touch. I'm wondering if its worth it to amp them with a basic portable amp since i hear touch 2g has great output. If so, where should i start looking? I listen to 90% hip hop/rap and 10% techno/trance, a bit of dave/jack johnson etc.

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 12
If you're using NE-7, I'd say that you'd get better bang for buck by transferring the amp budget to better earphones before thinking to go amping

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 12
yeah... idk, the ne-7's are supposed to be the best bang for buck around, beating out many IEM's that cost three times its price. also, since its impedance is 16 ohms, does that mean that an amp won't do much compared to a higher resistance phone?

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 12
I'm looking at the fiio e5. Has good reviews, is within my budget, and seems like a legit way to get a little more out of my listening. Any thoughts from owners of the e5?

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 12
not worth it.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not worth it.

Great. Thanks for the input. I'm curious as to why tho. It's $20. And I'm not looking for some ridiculous mobile set up. Just wanna have some fun and try this higher end audio stuff out.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not worth it.

Agreed, the E5 made my iPhone 3GS/Senn IE7 combo sound muddy and much less detailed. It's $20 though, just try it, you might like it.

I would agree with the transferring of budget over to the IEM department.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 12
A lot of people get excited to amp entry level earphones...but especially with a 2G touch, you want to get some higher end phones before bothering with an amp. I tried an E5 with my touch 2G and Shure SE530 - it sounded better without the E5. The SE530 is far higher end than the NE-7 but if I was you, I wouldn't bother with an E5 even if just to avoid the added bulk - not really worth it, and the sound quality may even be worse with the amp. Upgrade you earphones, and then later you might want to look at an LOD and a better amp than the E5.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 12
The E5 isn't entirely bad. Don't dis it without research and actually looking at reviews. If you are just staring this hobby the worth thing you can do is start a habit of knocking stuff based on a one page topic.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 12
So far I'm happy with the NE-7's, much higher quality than my bass freqs. I'm already hearing things in my music that I never knew was there before, something I only experience in my car with my Hertz component speakers. Probably the best $50 I've spent in well... maybe ever.

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 12
Try first E5 you may like it but save some for better AMPs like Tomahawk and buy cryo dock cable then you will get more warm bass and great extention in your music like home thaetre exp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back