Portable Amp With The Best Battery Life
Feb 4, 2004 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a portable amp with the best battery life, and I'm willing to trade some sound quality to achieve this. Here are some options (please feel free to add others):

DIY:
CMOY (probably the best battery life of the DIYs)
CHA47 (sounds arguably better than the cmoy, and could have similar battery life)
Mint-META42 (sounds better than both of the above, but I bet battery life suffers as a result)

Xin:
Super-mini (sounds similar to the cha47, I've heard, but I'm unsure of its battery life)
Super-micro (could be the smallest amp ever, but how's the battery life?)

HeadRoom:
AH
TAH (obviously sounds better than the AH, but battery life may be lower)

Thanks for the input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 6
I have an older supermini amp, v 5.0, and the battery life is insanely good. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to switch it off (mine lacks the LED), only to realize hours later. Despite this, 3 AAAs last about a month or more, depending on usage. I think Xin pegs battery life at 120 hours for the supermini.

As far its sound, it's definitely above the CHA47. At an earlier L.A meet, we found that my 5.0 favorably compared in sound to a mid-level META42. I'm guessing that the newer 6.0 and up are significantly better. Apparently the supermicro has a warmer sound in comparison, but obviously shorter battery life.

Feb 5, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 6
I built a modified version of the headbanger circuit and it goes about a month of heavy use on 8 NiMH 1700 maH everready batteries. Usually I have the notion to charge them about the end of each month so it is always ready. That many batteries makes it a heavy portable though but still lighter than strapping a car battery to the old belt.

Feb 5, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 6
Have you considered going with Plainview 9Vs? Not sure what's driving the bat life over quality ratio, but with rechargeable, some of the advantages are eliminated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back