Portable amp with more Power than Onkyo DAC-HA200
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dodap

100+ Head-Fier
Today I could listen to a few headphones in a shop with my own gear. Only to realize (once again) that the maximum power from my combo LG G5 + DAC + Onkyo DAC-HA200 was not good enough for some of my test tracks. (The headphones were a Focal Elear and a Denon AH-D7200).

What cheap (sub €500) upgrades would be better for me?

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 3
Looking at specs, there should be no power issue with the DAC-HA200 and those headphones.

To clarify, are you running a separate DAC between your phone and the HA200? If so, you may want to check the volume level coming out of that. (Or on the phone, if volume is controlled there.) Or is the issue just that you have some extreeemely quiet test tracks?

(Anyway, you can certainly get a better setup within your budget. Chord Mojo, Fiio A5, Cayin C5, should all provide sufficient power for most any headphone testing needs.)

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 3
Yes I used the DAC-module for the Smartphone and a line cable to the Onkyo that therefore worked as an amp only (my USB cable to use the DAC portion of the Onkyo is too stiff for me).
It was the volume level! Unfortunately some Android Apps hide the volume control and do not present it on the top level interface.
And I thought of buying a Fiiio A5 myself (it is one of not that many that still has a traditional analog protruding easy grippable volume knob) as the Onkyo has some problems: After I start a new track I get a little interruption/hickup of some sort after a few seconds. Sometimes really errors as if the frequency changes on an old turntable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back