portable amp using dc-coupled circuit losing its mass-connecting,what will happen to the amp?
Jul 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

hotfever

100+ Head-Fier
im using my portable amp Glacier,i liked it so much that i decided to open it up to see things by my own eyes........somehow ,under the board,i saw something look like metal-sponge stick to the board as designed.........i believe it is the amp's mass,i asked myself does it really need it (designer intend to put it there for sure).

any amp diy-er plz tell me what happen to the amp(sound) if i remove it ?

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
im using my portable amp Glacier,i liked it so much that i decided to open it up to see things by my own eyes........somehow ,under the board,i saw something look like metal-sponge stick to the board as designed.........i believe it is the amp's mass,i asked myself does it really need it (designer intend to put it there for sure).

any amp diy-er plz tell me what happen to the amp(sound) if i remove it ?

Mass?  So the Glacier has some sort of gravity control device?

Seriously, you better leave it there.  Foam under a PCB is often used a dual-purpose material: 1) to insulate the solder and pins sticking out of the bottom of the PCB from shorting against the case, and 2) to provide a bit of cushion if it's portable to keep parts from shaking loose.  Between 1 and 2, #1 is critically important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back