Portable Amp To Drive Grados
Jul 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 27
Save for the boa... the dac itself was a huge boost in sq. (if you play music through your computer that is)

The Boa powered my sr80's fine.. well a bit too much..haha had to lower the volume since i regular listen to my hd650's that require more power than the sr80's.

Sound is always excellent , really boosts the bass.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
150 to 200 would open a much wider selection of amps you could get. It would be better to wait a while IMHO. The SR80's will still satisfy you for a few months without an amp and you will be able to score a really sweet amp with that budget.

Yea, I think that is the route I am going to take. Thank you for your help, you always seem to answer my questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep saving and go as high as you can!!
I hear kidneys are fetching a fair rate right now!!
Anyone wanna buy one of mine?
Or a retina? lol

Trust me, I have been looking for a buyer since the day I joined Head-Fi.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find a used Mini^3 with AD8397 chip. They work wonders with Grados.

I'll keep that in mind.
The AD8397 is an opamp right?
I don't really know all the lingo yet, and I am trying to learn.
Also, what is rolling opamps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save for the boa... the dac itself was a huge boost in sq. (if you play music through your computer that is)

The Boa powered my sr80's fine.. well a bit too much..haha had to lower the volume since i regular listen to my hd650's that require more power than the sr80's.

Sound is always excellent , really boosts the bass.

The Boa looks so nice, I think I might have to save for that one.
How do you like your HD650s compared to your SR-80s? Getting a closed phone might do well for me.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 27
To OP:

There are two amps in your price range at least:

PA2v2 - about $60
FIIO - $8.5

Both synergize with Grado very well. I recommend FIIO heartidly. Then spend the rest $71,5 to used iPod Nano. Or buy Sansa Clip 4 GB (smth like $40). This is even better, since Clip and FIIO matches one another perfectly, both in terms of sound and in form factor.

I like to listen to Clip + FIIO using Grados or Etymotics. Very good synergy and unbelievable value for $50 total.

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have grado 325i and the iqube( as well as the predator) and sounds fantastic!!
No problems driving the 325 at all and sound fantastic through the LOD with a decent cable!

Which one did you like better? IQUBE? or Predator? What was the difference?

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #23 of 27
I have the SR 60s and don't find much advantage to an amp. If I was you knowing what I know now I would put the money towards a source. I wouldn't even worry about an amp unless I had another pair of headphones that needed one.

I currently have two amps and I prefer to use one of them with some of my phones, but not with the 60s.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 27
Well I got a new source, I have a 3rd gen iPod now.
I don't think I will be able to scrape the 200 dollars together for a decent amp like you guys suggested.
If I buy a line out dock and then a PA2V2 or Penguin Caffeine Amp do you think I will notice a difference in sound quality? I would just need a semi-decent amp to drive the phones out of the LOD.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #25 of 27
Deadneddz both are great amps but iqube just edges it for me!!

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The penguine amp is supposed to sound as good as a corda headsix after burning in.

Good to hear.
I think I am going to go with that.
Now I just need to find an iPod line out.
Any suggestions?
I was doing some reading and I guess Punnisher and Stevenkelby do some good work (but I don't know how to go about acquiring one from them), and there is also Head-Direct and a few other stores. I would like to keep it around 30 dollars. I know this isn't the right section, but I might as well have the question in my thread in case anybody has any ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back