Portable amp that passes control information?
Aug 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

trunolimit

100+ Head-Fier
I love my fiio-e17. It recently took a dive and now it's broken. So I am now in the market for a replacement. 

One thing that pissed me off about the Fiio is that you loose the ability to control your iPod through the cable. Is there an amp that does pass inline button information?

How I got around this inconvenience with my phone was, I bought a tiny bluetooth controller and just used that to change songs and what not. The classic iPod has no bluetooth capabilities (maybe the nextgen will have BT4.0, that thing is due for an upgrade)

Edit: I found EO2i, seems like it doesn't sound very good. I also thought maybe I can put a cable with inline controls between the amp and iPod that is long enough to maybe tether the controls to the other cable.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 3
The only one that I know of that does this is the discontinued NuForce ICON Mobile.  It is a good little DAC/AMP MSRP at $100 and you can find it used for less than that.  There is a black one listed used in the sale section if you want to check it out.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 3
My solution ,if you can call it that, was to get the LOD cable and then put a cheap headphone with inline controls into the audio jack of the iPod. I chopped off the earbuds of the cheap set and wire tied the cable to my actual headphones. I lose the ability to volume up and down but at least I can change tracks without having to pull my iPod out of my pocket.

This seems like a no-brainier feature to add to a portable amp. Wonder why everyone isn't doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back