Portable Amp Suggestions
Oct 14, 2005 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Vicks7

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone
I have been reading through all the various reviews on the forum today and wondered if anyone could help. I have decided to go for a portable amp which I can use with my home CD player and also with a portable source such as an Ipod. I use grado 325i headphones with a wide ranging musical taste (but preference for jazz, blues and classical).
There seem to be so many options but also mixed reports (for example, the Grado RA-1) and some suggestions from people would help me to get a short-list together. I have a healthy budget (US$400-500) and perhaps more if it justifes it.
Many thanks
James

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 14
How do you define portabe??

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 14
Well, doing my RSA trolling, I have to reccomend the SR-71 as a solution.
Your wide-ranging tastes in music would be well served by the clean neutral background it provides, and it has the solidity (and chops) to handle home use.

Oct 15, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Well, doing my RSA trolling, I have to reccomend the SR-71 as a solution.
Your wide-ranging tastes in music would be well served by the clean neutral background it provides, and it has the solidity (and chops) to handle home use.

How much do SR-71s cost?

Oct 15, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Have a look at the new SM3 V6 from Xin-about $350. You could buy 2 and use them in a pre/power combo at home or one of them on the go. You could also look at the new mini-introductory special about $150, which can be used either alone or with the SM3 in a pre/power combo- a very tempting setup in the $500 range.

Oct 16, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 14
My music tastes are so similar to yours,and I use AE-1 to drive my HD600 and er4p.I would say ae-1 is so well to play these music in my opinion

Oct 16, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 14
How small do you want your portable amp to be? The RA-1 is a good amp, especially for your Grado. Getting one of Ray Samuels' amps is also a good idea. He has a portable amp right now that he says can stand toe to toe with his bigger amps, if thats the case, I suggest you try that one out. I've tried one of this amps and I have no complaints with it.

Oct 16, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 14
Having read so many of the threads on here I have decided on going the whole hog and buying a SinglePower Amp for home use but I may also buy something like a Ray Samuels SR-71 or similar for home use. Thanks again to everyone for all the help - great forum.

Oct 16, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 14
Congrats on that. Do you know which one your getting and what configuration and such?

Oct 16, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 14
I think I am going with the stabdard SLAM configuration but I just want to check a few things with Mikhail. Very excited!
Perhaps more appropriate for a seprate thread but I would also like a good portable rig (e.g. I am currently listening to my laptop CD player which I am sure can be improved). I was thinking of getting a Headroom DAC and Amp but not sure which one plus there are other brands as well.
James

Oct 16, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 14
I think I am going with the standard SLAM configuration but I just want to check a few things with Mikhail. Very excited!
Perhaps more appropriate for a seprate thread but I would also like a good portable rig (e.g. I am currently listening to my laptop CD player which I am sure can be improved). I was thinking of getting a Headroom DAC and Amp but not sure which one plus there are other brands as well.
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back