Portable Amp recommendations w/ Future Sonics IEMs
Nov 20, 2006 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Packgrog

500+ Head-Fier
I've been running an iRiver iHP-120 since around the time they first came out, but it's only been within the last couple of years that I've really started becomming more curious about improving the sonic experience with it. My eventual goal is to find a nice external DAC and finally use the optical output, but the Headroom Micro DAC seems to be pretty much the only option there, and the output from that would be far too loud for my earphones, requiring me to focus on looking for an amp first.

My primary earphones are the Future Sonics EM3. These sound phenominal with a flat EQ, but the difference between the output of my H120 and my Cowon A2 is very noticable, leading me to believe that a quality external amp could provide some significant benefit to my listening experience.

However, there are risks with the EM3, or any Future Sonics earphones from what I understand. They are VERY low-impedance, especially compared to my Etymotics ER-4's (which I really don't care for due to them being too bright and being very uncomfortable), and provide a large amount of bass response. As such, any amp I might look for would need to have a low-gain option, and too (if any) bass boost would be dodgy at best. What I want from an amp isn't increased volume. I could deafen myself with Rockbox at max volume if that's all I wanted. I want improved control, widened soundstage, and less noise.

Obviously there's concerns like size, weight, battery life, funky options like crossfade, all of which would be nice, but that's secondary. While I do have to be mobile (I commute from Long Island to NYC daily), most of my listening is at my desk, and I already carry my laptop in a messenger bag, so bulkier equipment is fine if it fits the bill.

So what I'm looking for most: Neutral response, improved soundstage, low-gain for use with low-impedance IEMs, and either highly portable, or at least messenger-bag and desktop friendly.

At the moment I'm most curious about what different portable amps there are that would work nicely with the Future Sonics EM3, and how they would stack up against the RSA "M" Hornet, RSA Tomahawk, Little Dot Micro+, SuperMicro, etc. I'm leaning towards the Tomahawk due to nice fit & finish, and since the Hornet would probably deafen me even on the low-gain setting, and because I haven't read much about the other portable amps (lots of positive opinions about the Hornet and SR-71 have had be leaning towards RSA).

Another caveat would be that I do *NOT* have the time, knowledge, or material for DIY options. If there are DIY's that are significantly better with the EM3's that could be ordered from a builder I would consider that as well, though I'd need to know the specific advantages over the more established shops.

My apologies in advance if this is too much of a newbie post, and thanks in advance for any opinions you might have to share!

-Packgrog

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 10
If you want an amp with small size, light, long battery life (420 hours with 2x AAA?!), sleek appearance, ready-to-use, drive VERY sensitive IEMs... I think you're in for only one amp, and that is the Tomahawk.

Have you put your name down yet? It's $250 for the first 200 units (normally $295!).

Nov 21, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 10
I sort of posted a question in that thread while expressing my interest and reservations. I have concerns about what he means by "deep bass". I need an amp that would provide as neutral a response as possible, as the Future Sonics IEMs are already pretty bass-heavy, especially in comparison to the Etymotics ER-6 (I have heard the ER-6i or the ER-4, but I suspect them to be equally weak in the bass department compared to the EM3). So yeah, it's possible that the Tomahawk might not have the proper synergy with the EM3. I haven't heard the IEMs Ray tested with, so I'm not sure how to compare there (again, *WHY* did the NYC meet have to be the day before my wedding!?!?! I could have heard the thing already! ARGH!!!).

That being said, I'm leaning towards the Tomahawk. I'd been eyeing the Hornet for a while based on reviews and features, but that might be too powerful for my EM3s even with the gain set to the lowest level.

*ponders more*

Plus, blowing $250 on a gadget for MYSELF right before Christmas might not be the more brilliant idea ever, but still... :p

Nov 21, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 10
Go vibe 5 and the penguin amps seem to be the cheapest that give decent enough quality.

Many reviewers on here claim that the Go vibe despite its components sounds very competitive due to its simplicity........that will be my first one as soon as my credit card comes tonight
smily_headphones1.gif

But yes, the tomahawk does look amazing if you can afford it. I can't
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Go vibe 5 and the penguin amps seem to be the cheapest that give decent enough quality.

Many reviewers on here claim that the Go vibe despite its components sounds very competitive due to its simplicity........that will be my first one as soon as my credit card comes tonight
smily_headphones1.gif

But yes, the tomahawk does look amazing if you can afford it. I can't
frown.gif

Same as the shellbrookaudio mini (signature preferrably). If I had $150 too I would've got that one....sadly I can't.

Nov 21, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 10
I'd strongly suggest the hornet, PINT, or otherwise high current design. To get some good bass out of extremely low impedance IEMs you want alot of current.. most single opamp based stuff (go-vibe, pa2v2 .etc) cant do that..

Basically, stay away from CMoy designs unless you know they have a high-current opamp in them (hornet / PINT ) or just get a pimeta type buffered amp.

Nov 21, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 10
ATAT, can you explain this in a little more detail? Specifically, what do you mean by "high current design"? What is the benefit and why?

Again, the idea of "more" bass is worrisome for me. Future Sonics EM3 already provide a LOT of bass naturally. Even at low volumes straight out of the H120 there's such a tremendous amount of bass that I can almost FEEL it (no joke). What I want most is for that bass to be more controlled. The only other headphones I use, the Beyerdynamics DT250-80, are also on the warm side, so I always have to turn artificial bass-boosting off with these. Thus, statements of "more bass" make me nervous. With my Etymotics ER-6 this would be a blessing, since they have NO bass, but I don't use them anyway because they're so uncomfortable.

So can you clarify what you mean a bit more for me? Thanks in advance!

-Packgrog

PS: One of the amps I was drooling over initially was the Hornet "M", but I've also read that they might be too loud for low-impedance IEMs even with low gain. Thus my interest leading me to the Tomahawk...

PPS: I've already kicked the PA2v2 out of my interest list due to reading about how it has a noisy pot. Again, line noise + low-impedance IEM == BAD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 10
Is the govibe available with different chips yet? I think its the best value unless you want aestetic frills. Andrea did some modifications by replacing the stock opamps with higher current ones.

Nov 22, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 10
Looks like all signs are pointing towards the Tomahawk right now. I'm gonna have to spend a ton on my wife for Christmas so that she doesn't go ballistic on me for buying more gadgets for myself. :p

Of course, my christmas list will be easy this year: HeadRoom Gift Certificates. I want the Micro DAC to go with the rest of this mess.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back