portable amp recommendation for RHA MA750
Aug 11, 2014 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sergiuo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

So I've recently bought a pair of IEMs MA750, I'm using them with my pc where I've got a ****ty soundcard (creative soundblaster X-FI titanium) and on my phone a HTC One M8.
Tbh I'm not really happy with the sound, it seems like there's too much highs and low bass and I was wondering if getting an amp would help drive them better, maybe a DAC too, I'm not sure so I'd love to get some advice from you guys. Also I'm mainly listening to 320kbps electronic music, dnb mostly.

Thank you

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 10
To be honest I don't think adding an amp is going to give you the benefits you're after with RHA MA750.

You could try but from my experience with that IEM you're not going to gain a night & day improvement, while your soundcard is partly to blame if you don't like the sound now I think it's time to try another IEM instead. The most increase in quality will always come from the IEM upgrade and amping an earphone you don't like may just send you backwards. I would suggest you find a nice home for your RHA MA750 then look at researching these three earphones which are hot right now on Head-fi.

Dunu DN-1000
Havi B3 PRO - 1
T-Peos Altone200

I know those three earphones sound much better than RHA MA750. If you really want to look at getting an amp then you can try the Topping NX1 for $40, (we have a thread here) though I really think your time and money are more rewarded moving away from MA750, there's simply better options to choose from with the right word of mouth. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 10
  To be honest I don't think adding an amp is going to give you the benefits you're after with RHA MA750.

You could try but from my experience with that IEM you're not going to gain a night & day improvement, while your soundcard is partly to blame if you don't like the sound now I think it's time to try another IEM instead. The most increase in quality will always come from the IEM upgrade and amping an earphone you don't like may just send you backwards. I would suggest you find a nice home for your RHA MA750 then look at researching these three earphones which are hot right now on Head-fi.

Dunu DN-1000
Havi B3 PRO - 1
T-Peos Altone200

I know those three earphones sound much better than RHA MA750. If you really want to look at getting an amp then you can try the Topping NX1 for $40, (we have a thread here) though I really think your time and money are more rewarded moving away from MA750, there's simply better options to choose from with the right word of mouth. 

Hi, 

Thank you for your answer, well thing is I just bought them like 5 days ago and everyone is saying in reviews about MA750 that the bass shouldn't be lacking at all so I was wondering if there wasn't something I'm missing. While I could return those back and ask for a refund I'm sure it might take up to 30 days or so to get the actual refund on them. The bigger problem is that I couldn't find any of the three IEMs you listed for sale here in Romania, and only way to get those would be from Amazon.com and if I'll have to send them to warranty or something like that would be a lot of trouble and loss time, that's also one of the reasons I bought MA750 cause sending them back in UK would only take a few days not a month.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 10

Hi, 

Thank you for your answer, well thing is I just bought them like 5 days ago and everyone is saying in reviews about MA750 that the bass shouldn't be lacking at all so I was wondering if there wasn't something I'm missing. While I could return those back and ask for a refund I'm sure it might take up to 30 days or so to get the actual refund on them. The bigger problem is that I couldn't find any of the three IEMs you listed for sale here in Romania, and only way to get those would be from Amazon.com and if I'll have to send them to warranty or something like that would be a lot of trouble and loss time, that's also one of the reasons I bought MA750 cause sending them back in UK would only take a few days not a month.

All three of the options I listed must be ordered online, it's the only way to move away from the mainstream earphones unfortunately, but as for the bass on RHA MA750, they should have loads of bass, maybe check your seal and try some different tips. Does the bass come out if you push the IEM in your ears firmly? You need to check if you're getting an air tight seal. what about when you try with another source, like your phone for example? Still no bass? There should be more than enough bass to satisfy almost anyone from MA750.

Here's a seal test you can try: http://www.sensaphonics.com/test

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 10

All three of the options I listed must be ordered online, it's the only way to move away from the mainstream earphones unfortunately, but as for the bass on RHA MA750, they should have loads of bass, maybe check your seal and try some different tips. Does the bass come out if you push the IEM in your ears firmly? You need to check if you're getting an air tight seal. what about when you try with another source, like your phone for example? Still no bass? There should be more than enough bass to satisfy almost anyone from MA750.

Here's a seal test you can try: http://www.sensaphonics.com/test

I've tried that test, it seems like the seal is as good as it can be. And regarding the lack of bass its very similar from both sources, with my phone it is a little bit better but still not there, and the highs are sometimes close to unbearable. I'm even wondering if I didn't receive a broken pair of IEMs, like I said, for example, when I set the volume to max on my HTC (note, I also disable the Boomsound option from M8), or PC doesn't really matter, you can't listen to them, the highs just hurt and the bass is just not there. I also tried all tips, the double flange tips and the foam ones offer the best isolation but foam ones are really uncomfortable for me at least, even though they sound a bit warmer (at least for my ears).

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 10
also, on a side note, I've read somewhere on this forum that they require about 300 hours of "burn-in" to sound properly. Is it true ? Perhaps someone who has them could comment and tell me if they do improve after a long burn-in ? 

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 10
Sounds strange friend, I really am stuck for answers, if an easy return is possible then I would probably take that route to eliminate a defective pair. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 10
  also, on a side note, I've read somewhere on this forum that they require about 300 hours of "burn-in" to sound properly. Is it true ? Perhaps someone who has them could comment and tell me if they do improve after a long burn-in ? 

I have, and greatly enjoy my RHA MA750's. So much so that I sold both my AKH K550's, and I'm currently selling my Philips Fidelio X1's. I find the single flange tips are the best (I use the small ones), for bass, and you really need to get them right in your ear, you'll know when it's sealed. As for burn in....I'm not 100% sure, (they definitely do not need 300h), but I think separation and dynamics got better after using them for 50-ish hours. I can double check on the burn in sing my girlfriends RHA MA750's which are a lot newer than mine. Hope I helped.

PS: The bass on these should certainly not be weak, they have much more impact than my sister Beats Mixr, aswell as being better than the Mixr's in ever way, and the bass extension is ridiculous. - My bass extension/impact test track-point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mSskFS0vn4#t=122

The JDS Labs cMoyBB definitely did make it more noticable, but I'm selling it also due to carrying inconvenience.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 10

I have, and greatly enjoy my RHA MA750's. So much so that I sold both my AKH K550's, and I'm currently selling my Philips Fidelio X1's. I find the single flange tips are the best (I use the small ones), for bass, and you really need to get them right in your ear, you'll know when it's sealed. As for burn in....I'm not 100% sure, (they definitely do not need 300h), but I think separation and dynamics got better after using them for 50-ish hours. I can double check on the burn in sing my girlfriends RHA MA750's which are a lot newer than mine. Hope I helped.

PS: The bass on these should certainly not be weak, they have much more impact than my sister Beats Mixr, aswell as being better than the Mixr's in ever way, and the bass extension is ridiculous. - My bass extension/impact test track-point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mSskFS0vn4#t=122

The JDS Labs cMoyBB definitely did make it more noticable, but I'm selling it also due to carrying inconvenience.

Thanks a lot for your reply, I had to wait 1 full month to get my MA750s cause the first pair got lost during the shipping or something and now with the 2nd one not experiencing the bass I was expecting and the bass everyone is talking about, I guess you can understand my frustration :)

I've been listening, leaving mine on playing music for somewhere around 50 hours but I still don't feel that bass, they did get a bit better, or maybe my ears got used with them but its still not there.

Regarding the tips, for me, the small, ones don't isolate properly at all, I just re-tried all tips again and no, the single flange one none of them isolate good for some reason, the only ones that are working for me are the double flange medium ones and the foam ones which isolate a little bit better but are not comfortable at all.

Might as well try to return those and see if a second pair will sound better, sent them an email, will see what they say. 

May 6, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks a lot for your reply, I had to wait 1 full month to get my MA750s cause the first pair got lost during the shipping or something and now with the 2nd one not experiencing the bass I was expecting and the bass everyone is talking about, I guess you can understand my frustration :)

I've been listening, leaving mine on playing music for somewhere around 50 hours but I still don't feel that bass, they did get a bit better, or maybe my ears got used with them but its still not there.

Regarding the tips, for me, the small, ones don't isolate properly at all, I just re-tried all tips again and no, the single flange one none of them isolate good for some reason, the only ones that are working for me are the double flange medium ones and the foam ones which isolate a little bit better but are not comfortable at all.

Might as well try to return those and see if a second pair will sound better, sent them an email, will see what they say.

Hey Sergiou, can I ask what you went with in the end? I also have RHA 750is and the bass is really lacking. I also tried the T20i's and they don't sound different in regards to bass so I'm completely perplexed on what to get now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back