Portable amp recommendation for Android
Jul 28, 2015 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

baglunch

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get something for my Samsung Note 4 to help drive my JH Angies and Ultrasone SigPros... but mostly the Angies.  I can spend about $500, and am ok with good condition used.  I know some about desktop amps and DACs but nearly nothing about portable.  I want to keep my audio stack as physically small as possible, so I'd prefer to not have a separate amp and DAC.

What do I need to know from a general portable information standpoint?

What particular recommendations do you have?

I'll research the hell out of whatever you suggest, I just need some solid jumping off points.

Thank you kindly.

EDIT: The more discreet-looking as possible, the better.  Something that doesn't draw attention is something that is less likely to get stolen at work.  Not sure how to prioritize this compared to audio-quality and price tho.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 11
I have no idea which DACs work your particular phone (sometimes that's a problem). But here are a few products you might look into:

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/
https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 11
  Here you'll find all the portable amp/dacs that work with note4.

All?

It's a significant list, but without context (pricing, reviews, how old are they, etc.)... having that many names is practically an obstacle.

Also, how was this list compiled?  How frequently updated is it?  Can I count on this being authoritative?  Can I consider amps that are NOT on this list to NOT work with the Note4, or is this "these are ones have been proven to work with the Note4 so far..."?  Please understand those are actual questions, not a rant.

I am hoping to research several good suggestions (for which I thank the 3 of you so far).  While I'm not in a hurry, I don't want to spend the time going through a list this large would require (dozens or hundreds of hours).

I appreciate the spirit of your contribution!

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 11
From the research I've done with suggestions so far, I'm strongly leaning towards the Oppo HA-2.

I like the reviews of its sound, quick-charge capability, looks, and its size.

Still, not in a rush.  May be a Christmas present to myself.  Additional suggestions appreciated.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 11

All?

It's a significant list, but without context (pricing, reviews, how old are they, etc.)... having that many names is practically an obstacle.

Also, how was this list compiled?  How frequently updated is it?  Can I count on this being authoritative?  Can I consider amps that are NOT on this list to NOT work with the Note4, or is this "these are ones have been proven to work with the Note4 so far..."?  Please understand those are actual questions, not a rant.

I am hoping to research several good suggestions (for which I thank the 3 of you so far).  While I'm not in a hurry, I don't want to spend the time going through a list this large would require (dozens or hundreds of hours).

I appreciate the spirit of your contribution!

Ok bag the link is from here (Head-Fi) and that list contains all the dacs proven to be working with note 4. And yes is updated everytime a new dac has been proved to be working. More on the subject you can read here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6960
I tested last year Note 4 (exynos chipset variant) with Fiio e07k.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #8 of 11
Also, how was this list compiled?  How frequently updated is it?  Can I count on this being authoritative?  Can I consider amps that are NOT on this list to NOT work with the Note4, or is this "these are ones have been proven to work with the Note4 so far..."?

Realize the list is what it is: an effort to compile references to where people have stated that a DAC works with the Note 4. Of course the limitation is that it does not tell you which DACs will NOT work with the Note 4. And there are many DACs not on that list that it is highly likely that would work, because they have been reported to work on several other Android devices.

Well, there's not much shortcut there, other than pick out the portable DAC/amps you are interested in, then see if you can find reports of them working on Android devices. Easiest way to do that might be to find the primary impressions/discussion threads for the DAC/amp here on Head-Fi, and see if people have reported having good luck with it on several Android devices.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 11

Ok bag the link is from here (Head-Fi) and that list contains all the dacs proven to be working with note 4. And yes is updated everytime a new dac has been proved to be working. More on the subject you can read here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6960
I tested last year Note 4 (exynos chipset variant) with Fiio e07k.

Nice, thanks!

Realize the list is what it is: an effort to compile references to where people have stated that a DAC works with the Note 4. Of course the limitation is that it does not tell you which DACs will NOT work with the Note 4. And there are many DACs not on that list that it is highly likely that would work, because they have been reported to work on several other Android devices.
Well, there's not much shortcut there, other than pick out the portable DAC/amps you are interested in, then see if you can find reports of them working on Android devices. Easiest way to do that might be to find the primary impressions/discussion threads for the DAC/amp here on Head-Fi, and see if people have reported having good luck with it on several Android devices.

Indeed.  The list is clearly a labor of love, but was presented to me with (almost) no context... so I was asking questions about it.  If the list seeks to be authoritative, then it'll include a large percentage of DACs that are above and below my price point, and (theoretically) above or below my quality hopes.  I know price doesn't always equal value, which is why I'm seeking recommendations from people rather than a list of every DAC that works.  I could see the list being very useful for developers seeking to support compatible DACs, but for a consumer that's just looking to get a nice DAC in a certain price range, it's overwhelming.

Regarding the DACs you suggested, I really like the reviews on the Oppo HA-2.  I can't go much above $500, but I can certainly do the $300 the Oppo is going for and appreciate the savings.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 11
Have a look at the iBasso D14, it's pretty damn good for the price. A little big though. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 11
  Have a look at the iBasso D14, it's pretty damn good for the price. A little big though. 

D14 looks nice.  Like you said, a little big though.  Perhaps I should update my parent post, but I want this setup to be as discreet as possible.

I don't need people in my workplace knowing I have an expensive setup.  Everyone at work has headphones of one kind or another (animation).  The SigPros fly under the radar because they look just like everyone else's headphones.  The Angies are borderline because people tend to see things in your ears and think "some kind of earbuds" and generally don't give it another thought.  Some "weird looking box" strapped to my phone may draw more attention than I want.

The iBasso D14 looks large and coworker-unusual enough that I'd be more likely to get questions.  If the D14 and the HA-2 are comparable, I'd still put the HA-2 ahead for it's more discreet looks.  Can't find much directly comparing the two, though, to form a solid opinion.  I'll keep researching the D14, though.  Reviews seem tremendously positive.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back