Portable Amp Pics.
May 21, 2003 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sonichead

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to see some pics of the portable amps people here have made, in particular ones like the top flight, or other amps made in the H-65 case from Serpac. I'm interested in seeing this case in action. If your amp is in another enclosure, post it also.

May 21, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 10
mine....
biggrin.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=33997

May 21, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 10
My first amp (a CMOY) on top of my second amp (a META42):

cmoy_meta.jpg

Guts of META42:

meta_above.jpg

May 21, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 10
I tried various methods, totally fscking up one tin. I used this stuff called Goofoff, it really did a nice job of removing the paint job. Then I steel wooled it to get the brushed effect... I didn't coat it with anything though, and it's now showing signs of rust! I might refinish it later. What would be a suitable clear coating for this sort of thing?

May 22, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler What would be a suitable clear coating for this sort of thing?

i haven't tried this yet, so it's just a suggestion that you might want to try on something you don't love first, but i've known a number of metal artists to use johnson's floor wax as clear coat. seems to last a couple of years on things like toothbrush holders. they were dipping the pieces, not brushing or spraying, and no, i don't know if they diluted it at all.

May 22, 2003 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 10
I was thinkin of using some polyurethane I have laying around. Anyone think that would be a problem? Pretty good stuff. Perhaps some kind of spray on shellac? I thought that those tins are aluminum, but I guess not considering the rusting, and the wieght, now that I think about it. I'll be able to try some things in a few days when I go home. Yay, finals are over, but I have no entertainment because I sent most of my things home. Luckily I still have my phones, computer and amp. (/OT) That brushed look would probably match the D-25s pretty well.

TA

May 22, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Nice pics! Does anyone with an H-65 case have pics to post?

May 22, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by tommyatkins I was thinkin of using some polyurethane I have laying around. Anyone think that would be a problem? Pretty good stuff. Perhaps some kind of spray on shellac?

sure, try anything like that and see how it goes. things to learn: will it be clear-clear, or add a particular sheen or darkening? will the product yellow over time? try and see.

certainly you won't have a regular spray-clear finish hurt the tin. maybe it'll have trouble sticking though. wipe it real clean with alcohol or the like to remove your fingerprints. certainly read the spraycan to see what they advise about metal.

do rub the tin down more than enough to remove the visible rust; if you've got some microscopic rust still happening in there, it'll continue to spread under the new finish. this is why joe-sixpack's bondo job falls out every six months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back