Portable amp for under £100 that can power HD650?
Apr 23, 2009 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

thechungster

1000+ Head-Fier
I might get the HD650, but before I can do that I must research a bit. I have searched a lot, but cannot seem to find anyone talking about people with portable amps under £100 much. So are there any of them that have good synergy with the HD650?

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 18
The PA2v2 is powerful enough to drive small speakers, at 200mW. Cost about $60USD shipped.

Not sure how well the PA2v2 pushes the HD650 though. Even if it does, the power hungry HD650 might just drain it too quickly.

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 18
look at meier, the headsix or 3move ... they have a great synergy sith the senns
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by eroarex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look at meier, the headsix or 3move ... they have a great synergy sith the senns
biggrin.gif

The 3move seems to be a bit too expensive for budget, but the headsix isn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 18
I dont personally like your chances

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I agree. The headsix is close to 100 GBP! You should definitely try the Headsix and it is shipped within the EU so you will not have to pay any surprising taxes or customs. I would say it is a great match for the HD650.

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. The headsix is close to 100 GBP! You should definitely try the Headsix and it is shipped within the EU so you will not have to pay any surprising taxes or customs. I would say it is a great match for the HD650.

aaa ... he still has to pay vor vat ... but not additional fees
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

aaa ... he still has to pay vor vat ... but not additional fees
biggrin.gif

Grr... Also are there any portable amps that are good, but have a rechargable battery? Since I much prefer a rechargable battery.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grr... Also are there any portable amps that are good, but have a rechargable battery? Since I much prefer a rechargable battery.

sorry, dont they all have rechargable batteries??
confused.gif

and yes I was simply stating my doubts that you could find a portable in that budget that does a good job of powering the very picky and power hungry HD650. there are portables that will do a good job, but not quite in that price range IMO; the senns require a good amount of power to even start to lift the veil. besides; do you really want to use an open back headphone portably?? I dont see the point of getting high quality headphones and an amp to improve the SQ and using them in situations that you couldnt tell if they were well driven or not. or are you going to use them in a quiet office environment?? of course this is up to you; but I persinally would consider something with better isolation.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, dont they all have rechargable batteries??
confused.gif

and yes I was simply stating my doubts that you could find a portable in that budget that does a good job of powering the very picky and power hungry HD650. there are portables that will do a good job, but not quite in that price range IMO; the senns require a good amount of power to even start to lift the veil. besides; do you really want to use an open back headphone portably?? I dont see the point of getting high quality headphones and an amp to improve the SQ and using them in situations that you couldnt tell if they were well driven or not. or are you going to use them in a quiet office environment?? of course this is up to you; but I persinally would consider something with better isolation.

Isn't headsix just a standard 9v battery, which you have to replace over time? And no, my desk at home just isn't big enough in anyway to put a pretty big desktop amp on my desk, and something I could stack and put away is quite useful for me. This is for home user btw, not travelling around and blah.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 18
any rechargeable battery will need to be replaced over time; with the headsix you can obviously just do that yourself without opening the whole case up. you would just buy rechargeable 9v batteries for it. amps that have the batteries inside will likely just have a rechargeable 9v battery inside attached to a charging circuit. difference with headsix is you have easy access to that battery and if it doesnt have a charging circuit you just recharge in a charger; actually has an advantage in that you can have more than one set of batteries with you if you run out of juice; disadvantage is that perhaps you have to buy a charger and decent rechargable battery.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any rechargeable battery will need to be replaced over time; with the headsix you can obviously just do that yourself without opening the whole case up. you would just buy rechargeable 9v batteries for it. amps that have the batteries inside will likely just have a rechargeable 9v battery inside attached to a charging circuit. difference with headsix is you have easy access to that battery and if it doesnt have a charging circuit you just recharge in a charger; actually has an advantage in that you can have more than one set of batteries with you if you run out of juice; disadvantage is that perhaps you have to buy a charger and decent rechargable battery.

Oh yeah, forgot about standard rechargable 9v batteries. I saw that the Vivid V1 amp was apparently a very good synergy with the HD600's (According to HPA) but not sure about HD650's though.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 18
With my hd650, I use the Xenos 3HA. It is no longer made but some are still just about available.

Battery life is SHORT with a big S because it supplies a lot of voltage in order to drive big headphones. Although it is portable, it is large. (About 7 inches long) It has tone controls and can be plugged into the mains. It isn't particularly pretty and has a hard plastic case.

imo, it works well with a 650 (but not up to full blown amp standards). I think that this one is currently a bargain here: (Just checked - not so good with international shipping, but still under £100 (Just))

Xenos 3HA Headphone Amplifier by Xenos Audio Systems

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back