Portable Amp for UE-10s w/variable bass
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RCM

100+ Head-Fier
Yo all-

My rig is in my sig (well, except the 60g 4G iMod is currently morphing into a 80g 5.5G iMod with Vinnie's help after my 4G crashed and burned several times and we got tired of sending it back and forth).

I was initally caught up in the hype of the UE-11 (What am I missing? Do I need them? Do they really sound that much better? $1150 better?), but then got to thinking in a more practical vein. The transparent, unadulterated sound of the UE-10s is absolutely perfect for opera, which I listen to a lot of, but more bass would be nicer on hiphop, rock, and some other stuff I like. The top end and middle are perfect, but, OK, I'd like more bass sometimes.

Getting a set of UE-11s along with the UE-10s just seems stupid-I'd have 2 expensive sets of IEMs that can't be sold or traded. The UE-10s fit perfectly, feel great, and I love the sound except the desire for a bit more bass as indicated. Since I want to stay portable, I'm looking for a portable amp with variable bass and have come up with the following:

Larocco Diablo-can't get it.
Larocco PRII-obtainable, but according to reviews not so good with IEMs due to noise.
Larocco Lisa III-not portable.

As you can see, the only portable amps I can find with adjustable bass are Laroccos but I assume there are others.

I prefer to stay on the high end with the amp to match the iMod and the UE-10s, and would really appreciate any suggestions. The Diablo sounds like it would really fit the criteria but it ain't available. (Unless you've got one to sell to a brutha...
wink.gif
)

Thanks…RC

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 12
first thing that comes to mind is the new iqube from qables... i believe it has a 3(?) position bass adjuster on it, but i have no idea on SQ though, but skylab has one, he would be more qualified to describe it, and possibly recommend it

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 12
the xin supermacro has a bass boost switch. try to find a used one for sale here. or you can order one from fixup.net and wait 8 months for it.

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't know if you think it 'worthy' of your UE-10's but the new iBasso P2 has a 3 step bass boost.

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 12
It's a shame UE does not offer a trade up discount!
I wonder if they could be cracked open to salvage any parts to offset a trade in and up deal?
Sorry, my mind wonders aimlessly around here sometimes! Least that's my story and I'm sticking with it:wink:

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 12
i've asked UE about that already and they whole heartedly refuse to do anything with your custom IEM's once you bought them (aside from repairs)... they wouldn't even change the color of my UE-10, and basically told me that i need to buy a new pair for a new color. hope i didn't spoil your sentiments!

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 12
Think of it this way...people carry checkbooks around, the LISAIII looks to be about the size of a checkbook(footprint). If it gets you the SQ you want, who cares if the footprint is slightly larger? Some people get so focused on size, that they forget about what really matters sometimes, ESPECIALLY with the components you have. It's not like the iMod is exactly nano sized either....

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think of it this way...people carry checkbooks around, the LISAIII looks to be about the size of a checkbook(footprint). If it gets you the SQ you want, who cares if the footprint is slightly larger? Some people get so focused on size, that they forget about what really matters sometimes, ESPECIALLY with the components you have. It's not like the iMod is exactly nano sized either....

A chequebook and the Lisa III block are totally different things in size, weight and dimensions
rolleyes.gif

SQ doesn't always really matter, portability is a big factor for some people. You shouldn't try to enforce your opinions like they're facts.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I hear you on that.

Vinnie's putting my new iMod in a Yotank case, might as well go all the way, add the LISA and cary around a brick!

I just picked up a Meier Move which may sound better than the Tomahawk, if there's not much difference I may end up going with the LISA even though it's big.

It definitely looks like a great piece of work, but a couple of reviews said it is too noisy for IEMs?

Aluren 's post about UE is kinda disheartening but understandable from a business perspective. When I got my UE10s last spring I was told the UE11s may not come out for a long time, if ever, and that if they did maybe something could be worked out as far as a price break. I haven't gotten in touch with them about it but sound like the answer is the price break is $1150.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by afphreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first thing that comes to mind is the new iqube from qables... i believe it has a 3(?) position bass adjuster on it, but i have no idea on SQ though, but skylab has one, he would be more qualified to describe it, and possibly recommend it

According to Sky who just purchased the iQude says nix on the bass boost option
wink.gif

I don't know, from a business point of view you might get a lot of current users upgrading as soon as 11's were available as opposed to current 10 users having to come up with full pop again and just deciding the 10's are just fine. IMHO UE should consider some kind of trade in discount even if they can't salvage a piece off a lower model. I would think a 35 to 45% discount would garner lots more business. I've personally never seen the cost factor in the UE mold products anyway
eek.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 12
FWIW I'm using a PRII with UE11's and don't hear any noise at all. I'm not sure how "available" they are, but if you buy used and don't like it you could re-sell for the same price you paid.

I'll also add that I've owned an SR-71, Move, Hornet and Tomahawk and the PRII is the best of all these. (I also have an iQube in the mail and a Pico arriving next week, just to cover my bases!)

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW I'm using a PRII with UE11's and don't hear any noise at all. I'm not sure how "available" they are, but if you buy used and don't like it you could re-sell for the same price you paid.

I'll also add that I've owned an SR-71, Move, Hornet and Tomahawk and the PRII is the best of all these. (I also have an iQube in the mail and a Pico arriving next week, just to cover my bases!)

I'd say, nice arsenal FreeB
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back