portable amp for the ipod classic 7g
Apr 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

matchuk28

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for a portable amp for my new ipod classic 7g. Originally I had used an sansa clip then a galaxy nexus and both sounded good enough with my ie8. I upgraded to the latest ipod even though i really dont like itunes and the whole file conversion. But the sound quality of the classic is horrific and i dont know if its just the dac or the headphone out as well. I am hoping an amp would fix this. My budget is around $100, if others could share similar experience with resolving the whole eq issue that would be great. Thanks

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 5
a) Can you explain what do you find so horrific about your iPod? 
b) Do you use some eq setting? Try to check with the eq off.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 5
basically compared to my clip and nexus, the classic lacks bass impact and tightness, the highs sometimes hiss (sibient is the word i believe) and more importantly the sound stage is no where near as wide as it used to be.

i impulse bought a d zero and hopefully the issue lies with the headphone out .. cos bypassing the dac is way too expensive and i really need the 160gb capacity (or else i wouldnt be dealing with itunes lol)

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 5
Yeah, that might work if the issue is with the headphone amp in the iPod.
If its the iPod DSP, then it'll be the same.
Do get back on whether you notice any change.
I also feel because your iems are 16 Ohms, they might be low compared to the iPod's own resistance.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 5
i got the d zero yesterday and have been listening to it via the ipods lod. It's very very nice, I didnt expect much of an improvement however when u bypass the headphone out  and amp the ipod classic 7g all the issues are resolved. The bass is punchy, soundstage alot wider and overall the eq is alot more similar to my hd650. This is actually the nicest setup I've heard with my ie8's. The size of the d zero is also perfect for the ipod classic, def great combo so glad i got this now i actually look forward with commuting with the classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back