Portable amp for Sennheiser HD800
Jul 11, 2016 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

13candles

100+ Head-Fier
So recently I've finally decided to get the HD 800s, and being away from home most of the time I would like to know some recommendations for a portable amp or DAP which could drive them .

Recently I've auditioned the HD800s through a Chord Hugo but haven't really tried the Mojo with my Samsung Note5.

I am wondering if should I go the DAP route with the Mojo or just my Note5 with some other portable amp like the Hugo?

I've read some good things about the Hifiman HM-901S and the Lotoo Paw Gold. Are these two capable of driving the HD800s to an acceptable listening volume or suffice to say , I need to stack witha portable dac/amp?

Thanks in advance and cheers guys! :)

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 14
Well, know that the disadvantage of a DAC with a smartphone is that you can't charge the phone while using it, while you can when a headphone amp is plugged in the the headphone output.

If you don't want to spend quite so much on a headphone amp, look into the Cayin C5 which is very powerful. I've read that it works well with the HD600, so seems like it ought to be able to drive the HD800 well.

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the reply cel4145! i'll keep the Cayin in mind!

On the other hand, lets just say that if my budget is that of a Chord Hugo, what other portable amps would you recommend? 

Also, is the Hugo more of a DAC or amp or both?

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 14
  Thanks for the reply cel4145! i'll keep the Cayin in mind!

On the other hand, lets just say that if my budget is that of a Chord Hugo, what other portable amps would you recommend? 

Also, is the Hugo more of a DAC or amp or both?

To understand more about Hugo, in terms of 'DAC or amp', please read the info under the section 'Regarding Mojos output stage', in this post  (yes, it does apply to Hugo)

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 14
I don't know. I'm in the audio science objectivist camp that looks at stats of lesser expensive solid state amps and finds that they should be fairly transparent, accurate, within the range of human hearing. So spending more doesn't necessarily result in better sound, just better stats, and where people are convinced the sound is better, can easily be confirmation bias.

If you are interested in learning more about what audio science says in this regard, read and ask questions in the sound science forum: http://www.head-fi.org/f/133/sound-science

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 14
Here's a good review covering the Mojo and HD 800:

http://headphone.guru/the-chord-mojo-the-amazing-599-00-portable-wonder/

Chord products like the Mojo and Hugo are DAC/amps, but do not have separate amp sections. They drive headphones directly from the DAC output stage. There's a lot of interesting info out there pertaining to this if you care to look.

Since it has many inputs, it simplifies things somewhat. I'd imagine you would be able to charge most portable sources while connected to it. You mentioned being away from home, but I'm assuming you would still be listening in privacy indoors, being that the HD 800 leaks sound. In that case, wouldn't you just want to connect the DAC/amp to a laptop instead?

If you like, I can show you the objective power requirements of the HD 800. Contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't need much. But you should still at least use some sort of amp. You're better off with a portable amp or DAC/amp as opposed to just a DAP.

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 14
QP1R is also supposed to be good with the 800's.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 14
I don't know. I'm in the audio science objectivist camp that looks at stats of lesser expensive solid state amps and finds that they should be fairly transparent, accurate, within the range of human hearing. So spending more doesn't necessarily result in better sound, just better stats, and where people are convinced the sound is better, can easily be confirmation bias.

If you are interested in learning more about what audio science says in this regard, read and ask questions in the sound science forum: http://www.head-fi.org/f/133/sound-science

Yes I totally agreeto the notion that something being more expensive doesn't necessarily equate to it being better. I say this is because I've auditioned both the Hifiman HEK and the LCD 4 and I found that I still prefer the HD800s.

I only provided my budget only because you asked:) Pardon me if I sound rude because that's far from it . I just don't wanna come across as a total complete idiot. I just want possibly the best combination for my listening pleasure with regards to my lifestyle :)

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 14
QP1R is also supposed to be good with the 800's.

Hey Buke, yeah I've tried the QP1R with the HD800 with no extra amp or dac . In fact that was probably the first DAP I tried with it .

Well , can't say I was really a fan of the QP1R. It drove the HD800 rathere nicely but IMHO , I really didn't like the UI and I thought that the scrolling wheel wasnt spot on at all . But thanks for suggesting!

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 14
Here's a good review covering the Mojo and HD 800:

http://headphone.guru/the-chord-mojo-the-amazing-599-00-portable-wonder/

Chord products like the Mojo and Hugo are DAC/amps, but do not have separate amp sections. They drive headphones directly from the DAC output stage. There's a lot of interesting info out there pertaining to this if you care to look.

Since it has many inputs, it simplifies things somewhat. I'd imagine you would be able to charge most portable sources while connected to it. You mentioned being away from home, but I'm assuming you would still be listening in privacy indoors, being that the HD 800 leaks sound. In that case, wouldn't you just want to connect the DAC/amp to a laptop instead?

If you like, I can show you the objective power requirements of the HD 800. Contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't need much. But you should still at least use some sort of amp. You're better off with a portable amp or DAC/amp as opposed to just a DAP.

Frankly, I work almost the entire day as I cook in a restaurant . No I do not have my own laptop. Only a desktop at home . Yes I intend to use the HD 800 whilst commuting to and from work and during whatever breaks inbetween lunch and dinner service. So yes, I need what's the best combination for me right now .

Also , if the Mojo is that similar to the Hugo , what are the sound benefits apart from the former being more compact and featuring less inputs and outputs ? What would warrant me to get the Mojo instead of the Hugo ?

Thanks for giving me those links to read . Really interesting but I think I should audition the mojo as well :)

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 14
Yes I totally agreeto the notion that something being more expensive doesn't necessarily equate to it being better. I say this is because I've auditioned both the Hifiman HEK and the LCD 4 and I found that I still prefer the HD800s.

That's a different situation. Different make/model headphones do sound different.

More expensive DACs and solid state amps may not actually sound different from lesser expensive ones. The technology has gotten so good that you can buy DACs and solid state headphone amps that are accurate. That is, any distortion they add is outside the range of hearing. So if amp A measures accurate in that way, and amp B measures accurate, only the measurements are even lower on distortion with amp B, they should still sound the same. If you can't hear the distortion added in either situation, then the music is being accurately reproduced.

The problem is that subjective listening tests of electronics are very flawed. For example, if you take two amps that sound the same, and one is even 1 db higher in volume, it will likely sound better. And then sighted comparisons can be flawed because of confirmation bias: if a listener has preconceived notions that amp B should sound better than amp A, even though they should sound the same, the listener may hear B to sound better.

There's more. Like I said, if you are interested in learning about it, check out the sound science forum. Might save you some money in the long run :)

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 14
There's more. Like I said, if you are interested in learning about it, check out the sound science forum. Might save you some money in the long run :)[/quote]

Yeah I'm definitely going to read up more on what you provided ! Thanks a million ! Trying to squeeze in time from my busy work schedule and regular gym time :)

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 14
Frankly, I work almost the entire day as I cook in a restaurant . No I do not have my own laptop. Only a desktop at home . Yes I intend to use the HD 800 whilst commuting to and from work and during whatever breaks inbetween lunch and dinner service. So yes, I need what's the best combination for me right now .

Also , if the Mojo is that similar to the Hugo , what are the sound benefits apart from the former being more compact and featuring less inputs and outputs ? What would warrant me to get the Mojo instead of the Hugo ?

Thanks for giving me those links to read . Really interesting but I think I should audition the mojo as well
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the best route, then, is to get an affordable DAP and focus on a quality portable DAC/amp. If you have plenty left over after that, consider it a bonus!

Yes, you should hear them both and decide which you like best. A surprising number of people prefer the sound of the Mojo over the Hugo.

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 14
I agree on the UI and wheel but doesn't bother me that much because it sounds so good.
Hey Buke, yeah I've tried the QP1R with the HD800 with no extra amp or dac . In fact that was probably the first DAP I tried with it .

Well , can't say I was really a fan of the QP1R. It drove the HD800 rathere nicely but IMHO , I really didn't like the UI and I thought that the scrolling wheel wasnt spot on at all . But thanks for suggesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back