Portable amp for RS-1's
Sep 24, 2006 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to figure out which route I want to go with my amplification for the RS-1's.

The reason I'm thinking about going portable is a) I don't have a ton of time to do the sit down and do alot of listening thng. b) I have had alot of problems with RF and EMI in my house and around the computer. c)I could use It in conjunction with my ipod and be more versatile.

The only ones I'm really interested in are the AE-1 and the Hornet. Now, I will need an explanation between the differences in the Hornets that are out there because I have not researched them enough
rolleyes.gif

I would love a home amp I just fear I wouldn't put enough time into it to justify the cost and importability.

Oh, almost forgot. I will/might/hope to be getting a pair of IEM's here in the next month or two. I think my top choices are the Shure E4's or the Super-Fi 5 Pro's. So if there's an amp that matches will with the RS-1's and one of those IEM's that'd be great.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 12
I can only speak to the Hornet, since I own one. Do a search on "Hornet" or "M-Hornet"and a few threads will pop up which will explain in detail.

Bottomline is that if you are considering a new unit, there are no options available. You get what Ray Samuels considers as the definative Hornet, the "M" version. If you are looking for a used Hornet, there are ones out there that do not have the latest mods. What gets confusing is that there are some out there who prefer the sound sig of their older, un-modded Hornet.

As for myself, the three weeks old Hornet of mine has redefined my extensive CD collection in a most satisfying and "musical" way.

Tuarreg

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 12
I use my hornet w/both the RS1 & E4c's - however most of my listening w/the IEMS is straight out of the player. I'm very very happy with the RS1 -= Hornet combo. So far I've had a millet, a DIY clone made for RS1's, a Morgan Jones & a PPA - and I would put the Hornet up there with them all. The PPA bests it by a little I believe - but not by a lot. The Hornet is a very capable amp & the extra details like recharging & gain switch are great.

I can't compare to the AE-1 but I can vouch for the RS1 - hornet combo. It makes me smile
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 12
The RS-2's sound fantastic out of a PR II with OPA627BP op-amps. Sounds so good I'm considering getting rid of my Stax rig. I imagine RS-1's would sound similarly good, especially considering the PR II has variable bass boost.

EDIT: Whoops, you already had a PR II didn't you? My bad...

Sep 25, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 12
I have been using my since May to drive AKG 701, Koss 75's and UM1's.
The sound is awesome. Mine is the older type without the newest mod. I have about 500 hours on it now it just keeps getting better with time or maybe it me just getting use to it
cool.gif

The best portable bang for your buck's. You may look around the for sell section and find a one used. They go fast.
I ordered mine from Ray direct from his web site, he takes paypal and the service is excellent.

Sep 25, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendrix
I have been using my since May to drive AKG 701, Koss 75's and UM1's.
The sound is awesome. Mine is the older type without the newest mod. I have about 500 hours on it now it just keeps getting better with time or maybe it me just getting use to it
cool.gif

The best portable bang for your buck's. You may look around the for sell section and find a one used. They go fast.
I ordered mine from Ray direct from his web site, he takes paypal and the service is excellent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but his post was about synergy with his RS-1s...not the merits of the hornet...

Sep 25, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 12
Hmm, well if you're looking at other options, you could try one of the used PINTs w/ LM6172 in FS if you can. I've had more than one person comment that they liked it with their RS-1.

I think the new GoVibe also uses the LM6172.

Another option could be something like the Supermini w/ AD8652 or 8656. Or you could try NJM4556.

Between the two you listed, when I tried both at the San Jose meet last year, I liked the tonal signature of the Hornet a bit better with the RS-1 (although this was the older version) but it sounded to me like the AE-1 was driving it better. As such, between the two, I'd maybe lean towards the AE-1 but I think it'd be nice to wait until the new version comes out to find out how well it goes with the RS-1.

Sep 25, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 12
So if I was to go portable it looks like the Hornet is the way to go, without hearing the new AE-1. When is that supposed to be coming out by the way? I would love to hear it because of the RCA's and the longer battery life are big pluses for it, but synergy and sound quality I think are priorities for me.

Orrrrrr.....
wink.gif
There is a Gilmore Lite in the FS forum right now for a great price, should I pick that up now and see what happens down the road? Has anyone had the chance to compare the Hornet and the Gilmore Lite? (I know, I know, I said portable. DOH!!)

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 12
I had a gilmore lite v2 with DPS and while it did sound good I imagine there are better amps suited for Grados. If you are going to get a stationary amp I'd definitely look into either the Heed CanAmp or Mapletree. As far as portables I'm not sure as my experience with them only extends as far as my LDM+. I'd imagine there are also better portables out there for my RS-1s but I'm happy for now until I make my mind up between the afore-mentioned stationaries
rs1smile.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
So if I was to go portable it looks like the Hornet is the way to go, without hearing the new AE-1. When is that supposed to be coming out by the way? I would love to hear it because of the RCA's and the longer battery life are big pluses for it, but synergy and sound quality I think are priorities for me.

Orrrrrr.....
wink.gif
There is a Gilmore Lite in the FS forum right now for a great price, should I pick that up now and see what happens down the road? Has anyone had the chance to compare the Hornet and the Gilmore Lite? (I know, I know, I said portable. DOH!!)

The new AE-1 is coming out almost a year ago...
biggrin.gif

Seriously, the AE-1 refresh was announced almost a year ago. I don't think Justin's quite ready with it yet.

Sep 27, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 12
RS-1 sound goods with amp using OPA627 and LM6172... can try the Go-vibe V5... am hearing it it with my RS-1 now... absolutly astounishing
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back