Portable Amp for plane trip?
Feb 26, 2015 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

funkoid

100+ Head-Fier
I don't fly regularly but will be doing a long haul this year at some point. I'm planning on taking my Beyerdynamic 250ohm with me, with an as of yet unspecified player, probably an existing iPod though.

I was looking at the topping but at best it looks to only last four hours :-/

Are there any compact alternatives available that'll last day 8-13 hours?

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't fly regularly but will be doing a long haul this year at some point. I'm planning on taking my Beyerdynamic 250ohm with me, with an as of yet unspecified player, probably an existing iPod though.

I was looking at the topping but at best it looks to only last four hours :-/

Are there any compact alternatives available that'll last day 8-13 hours?

What's your budget? I highly recommend the Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII  (not the other ones by this brand) the http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/ with the AD8620 OpAmp. Comes to $299 and lasts easily 10-20 hours, even more if only using it as an amp. Many of the more famous audiophiles around here and other places prefer this portable amp to anything else out there.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Fiio e12 or Cayin C5 and a usb battery. Should get you 8-10hrs on internal battery and then plug in the usb battery when you start to run low. Both have more power for those 250ohm Beyerdynamics. Which model headphones btw? Might be a stretch to get 13hrs on internal battery with 250ohm cans.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Yep. I don't know why everyone with portable devices doesn't have one of these for travel: http://www.amazon.com/Compact-10000mAh-Portable-External-Technology/dp/B009USAJCC/

:)

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 6
I have a couple of auxiliary USB batteries, but I can never remember to charge the darn things before I leave for the airport! So, I end up hauling a couple of dead lithium ion batteries back and forth across the country... :xf_eek:

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 6
I have a couple of auxiliary USB batteries, but I can never remember to charge the darn things before I leave for the airport! So, I end up hauling a couple of dead lithium ion batteries back and forth across the country...
redface.gif

Ask the person in the seat next to you to borrow their battery. Then use it to charge yours. Can you imagine the look you'd get? 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back