portable amp for my needs?
Apr 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
I need an amp that sounds very 'warm' and 'euphoric', sweet midrange, good PRAT/musicality and awesome speed. something that hits the spot of emotions. my current set up is way too sibilent, it creates a clinical sound.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Not sure what you are currently using and that info would be greatly appreciated.  Here are my suggestions in order from least expensive to most.

1.)  Total Bithead from headphone.com
Very portable, very musical, built to last, and easy to use
I own one and still use it.

2.)  Headroom Portable Micro Amp ( $399 ) with DAC ( $550 )
One of the most musical portable devices I have heard to date.  It is built extremely well and when you receive it you will notice how well made it is.  I think if you are a first time buyer you can use it for a while, and if you end up not liking it, you have can return it within 30 days and they will not ask any questions baring its returned condition.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 5
I agree with the previous comment. Go for a warm headphone, let the amp stay neutral. It'll make the biggest difference compared to the amp, also, you can change the sound if you want later.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 5
Sound in your ear is a product of everything along the sonic chain. But components definitely do have certain characteristics. I think my TTVJ Slim amp is somewhat warm. Senn HD650's are warm. Together they are great, IF you want/like warm, which I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back