Portable Amp for my Grado Sr225i
Jul 11, 2009 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Darksyde

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

It is unfortunate for my wallet, but I have become a fellow audio-freak at a young age (I'm currently 13), and because of the stupid "Upgraditis" disease, I have already bought: Cowon D2 (my MP3 player), Audioengine A2 speakers, Koss Ksc-75, Grado Sr80i's, and now, Grado Sr225i's!

Having already spent just over $1000 on audio equipment with a weekly income of $10 (allowance), I am basically broke. Now, as some of you know, the Cowon D2 is a very good-sounding player, and is also very powerful. However, I have read that in order to get the most out of your headphones, you should buy an amp for anything from the Sr80's and up, and anything good is over $100!

So, I come to my fellow head-fiers, to see if anyone has a solution for my predicament, which is: what (portable) amp under $60ish can I get that has good synergy with Grados? I've heard that Cmoy's are good, and if any of you have experience with them, feel free to share it with me!

Mark

Edit: I don't mind DIY amps.

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 46
I know some will disagree, but I don't think you will be gaining much. My grados sound great from my iphone and IMO portable amps really only help if you are trying to drive a hungry phone. You will also be double amping the D2- and correct me if I am wrong but it does not have a line out.

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 46
The D2 does have a line out port, I'd just need to buy a cable.

As for a better amp, if I scrounged together every last penny, I could afford one, but I'm trying to not spend too much money (saving up for a higher education!).

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 46
Also, if I get an amp, will I lose SQ if I run it through the many necessary connections (Sr225i's, mini adapter, headphone amp, line out, Cowon D2)? I'm concerned that adding a line-out and amp in between the source and the headphones will result in a reduction of signal, and thus sound quality.

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 46
You have a Sandisk Fuze? That's what my 'sis has (in pink xP). Thank's for your opinion, too! My wallet thanks you xD

The thing though, is that, while my Cowon drives my Sr225i's fine, I want to get the most out of them, seeing that I spent $260 CAD on them. A Cmoy will supposedly give my 'phones some more juice, so that I get the most out of them. And really, in the long run, $30 is nothing if it improves the sound of my headphones by even 10%

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 46
On my Grados, a cmoy really helped in bringing out the weightiness of the lower midrange and a bit more clarity in the highs, which seemed more well controlled and less "sparkly". It was a subtle change, but it was there. As for 10%, I would say maybe 7%, 10%, not so much. I use amps with Grado's when I can, but I often find myself enjoying them a lot without an amp. (Note that I am now selling my cmoy because I have a Little Dot which makes a bigger difference, and I don't use Grados as portables.

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2 does have a line out port, I'd just need to buy a cable.

As for a better amp, if I scrounged together every last penny, I could afford one, but I'm trying to not spend too much money (saving up for a higher education!).

If you are talking about the mini usb plug inside the flap, it is not a line out for sound (it doesn't work with a DAC either...it's just for loading music/updates). The only audio output is the standard 1/8" plug.
tongue_smile.gif

If you want to try a Cmoy amp, pm me, I've got one I can spare very, very cheaply.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Also, if I get an amp, will I lose SQ if I run it through the many necessary connections (Sr225i's, mini adapter, headphone amp, line out, Cowon D2)? I'm concerned that adding a line-out and amp in between the source and the headphones will result in a reduction of signal, and thus sound quality.

No.

-HK sends

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_sends /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want to try a Cmoy amp, pm me, I've got one I can spare very, very cheaply.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I can believe this.
bigsmile_face.gif

Darksyde,

Take advantage of this offer from a great guy! Happy listening.
happy_face1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can believe this.
bigsmile_face.gif

Darksyde,

Take advantage of this offer from a great guy! Happy listening.
happy_face1.gif

I fully intend to buy his Cmoy (and he does seem like a great guy!).

Is an RA-1 basically a Cmoy? Also, how do the pricier portable amps compare to the Cmoy (in terms of % improvement in the sound)?

Does anybody know how I can carry my D2 and my amp with me (maybe a utility belt, like Batmam o.O)?

Thanks for your help, Head-Fi!

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 46
Velcro them together. then put it in ur pocket?

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

I fully intend to buy his Cmoy (and he does seem like a great guy!).

Is an RA-1 basically a Cmoy? Also, how do the pricier portable amps compare to the Cmoy (in terms of % improvement in the sound)?

Does anybody know how I can carry my D2 and my amp with me (maybe a utility belt, like Batmam o.O)?

Thanks for your help, Head-Fi!

Yes, the RA-1 is basically a wood-cased Cmoy (and has been the cause for much contention because of the high price). As for binding them together, rubber band, velcro, a little cheap camera case with belt loop...there's lot of ways...

Oh and Thanks, Dane, for the kind endorsement...

-HK sends
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back