Portable Amp for Low Impedance Buds?
Jul 1, 2005 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
Portable Amp Question for Low Impedance Buds

Hi,

I just bought the Audio-Technica ATH-CM7ti, phones with an impedance of 16 ohms (same as the Etymotic Research ER-6i and lower than the Grados' 32 ohms).

I'd like to get a portable amp to run these (off an mp3 player/laptop at 320 kbps) and am looking at the Headroom Total Air Head, the Xenos OHA, or the Headsave Go-Vibe, (or a pimeta if necessary).

I've read that amps can cause a hiss when used with phones that have this low of an impedance (some have said that it largely depends on the op amp).

Has anyone used any of these amps with the ATH-CM3, 5, or 7, or other phones of the same impedance, without getting a hiss?

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Check out the Epsilon at www.z-audio.com

You can swap opamps, since he builds them with rolling in mind. Also, I'm sure he can adjust the gain to better suit your low impedance headphones.

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Thaddy,

The problem is that I'm on planes a lot and like to bring a rig; but I've had a tough time getting anything through security that doesn't scream: I am a commercial product (professional silk screen, etc.) - maybe I just look suspicious. That's why I'm interest in the Headroom and Xenos products (the go vibe v3 might work with its new case) and would probably have to rule a Z-audio or DIY Pimeta out.

If anyone uses low impedence earphones with either the Headroom or the Xenos, please let me know, I'm all ears
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 7
really impressed with my go-vibe... pushing my e2c.

Low noise floor and the added sparkle to the highs works wonders with the e2cs treble recession.

Garrett

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 7
How about a porta corda II? I have one I think I'm going to sell. Its listed in the sale forum for headphones along with my MS1's. Its a good little amp.

Jul 2, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 7
You know, I'm really not knowledgable enough to answer your question. I know it works great w/the MS1's & also w/the e3c's & the e4c's - though with the canal phones there isn't as much of a difference amped & unamped through my irver.

Maybe someone else much wiser than me can help!!!

I started looking through the search but don't have time right now to do a proper search -- too many threads to look through. Maybe I can find something more specific later - if noone else can offer help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back