Portable Amp for less than 100$ to suffice my combo's needs
Feb 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Schiso

New Head-Fier
Hii, I just got my W4R and ipod classic a while back and just WOW for these pair. How much more if I have an amp?

What can you suggest for a budget less than 100$? Thankss!

Sorry to create a new thread although many threads are about these budget friendly amps but I need a specific one to match W4R. Thanks again!

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 5
C&C BH has been very popular recently. I use the BH with Westone 3 and achieve great results.

You can check out the thread here.....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 5
You don't need an amp unless your IEMs can't be driven without clipping - and given the specs of the DAP and IEMs, you can't have clipping. In fact, adding an amp will reduce sq - because you'll have the ipod's amp noise plus the noise from the amp. (And probably most of the amps in your price range will have worse noise than the Apple's amp, so you'll more than double the noise...) Anything else is voodoo and marketing.

I suppose an exception might be if you want a lot of bass, in which case an amp with bass boost might help - but I'd try installing Rockbox and using its EQ first.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
C&C BH has been very popular recently. I use the BH with Westone 3 and achieve great results.

You can check out the thread here.....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I will look at it. :) 

Quote:
You don't need an amp unless your IEMs can't be driven without clipping - and given the specs of the DAP and IEMs, you can't have clipping. In fact, adding an amp will reduce sq - because you'll have the ipod's amp noise plus the noise from the amp. (And probably most of the amps in your price range will have worse noise than the Apple's amp, so you'll more than double the noise...) Anything else is voodoo and marketing.

I suppose an exception might be if you want a lot of bass, in which case an amp with bass boost might help - but I'd try installing Rockbox and using its EQ first.

I rockboxed my ipod classic and enabled the equalizer. Ive seen posts that w4r will be better with an amp. :frowning2:

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I rockboxed my ipod classic and enabled the equalizer. Ive seen posts that w4r will be better with an amp. :frowning2:

There's no law to stop people posting stupid things to the Internet - regrettably. The WR's are an excellent design with very reasonable impedance and high efficiency, and the standard Apple dac/amp designs are excellent - they repeatedly proved impossible to tell from enormously expensive "audiophile" desktop components in blind testing. People believe silly things about amps because of the power of marketing and the placebo effect. But in reality:

http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm

It really is as simple as the tests in the article prove: if your amp and phones don't clip and noise is ok, that's as good as you're going to get. Which, ironically, is why amp sales are so profitable - you can sell a well-designed amp that costs $30 to make and it will sound as great as any amp on earth, and then the rest is down to your ability to bs your customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back