Portable Amp for K701's
Oct 25, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #46 of 56
Headsix with K701? o_o
It will barely drive K701 to sufficient volume...
if it's not sufficient how do you recognize the SQ in low volume?

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #47 of 56
From what I had read, I was under the impression it was enough to drive it, especially in the Headsix thread
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headsix with K701? o_o

Also, in case I didn't make it clear (I'm known to do that). This will be a TEMPORARY solution until I can get some ER4's (or something, I had ER6's but wasn't a huge fan...so I don't know if I'll like ER4's) and a home amp. I already have the AKG's, so I want to do something with them, instead of spending my amp money on some MORE headphones and an amp for those while letting these sit around until I can get a good home system.

It seems like a weird order to start in, but I admit I didn't really know what I was getting into when I bought these. So I'm trying to make the best of it, and I can't afford a home amp+another set of headphones for portable use
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #49 of 56
i'm putting my vote in for the corda move, which is similar to the corda headsix. FWIW, I think they drive they k701s to a good volume. I've got it set to high current. The start position on the volume is 7 oclock and they reach near live levels at about 2-3 oclock. Now unless you're interested developing tinnitus, then I would say the move is more than capable.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #50 of 56
I sent a question into Dr. Jan to see whether a high-gain version of the headsix would drive them accordingly...
But yeah, I was considering the Move, except that's a bit out my price-range atm. I'm poor
580smile.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headsix with K701? o_o

I've tried the Headsix with K701 and it has plenty of volume. But as usual, volume isn't the problem here. It's definitely not as dynamic of a setup as my home amp (Creek OBH-21SE).

Here are some characteristics (that I can remember) of my K701 being driven by my Headsix relative to my Creek:

- more compressed soundstage, less accurate imaging
- poorer dynamics
- less extension of high treble end and low bass
- less detail, and lower overall resolution

But you could say "my grandma could have told me that." The point is that even with all these flaws, I find the setup of Headsix to K701 listenable. It is by no means audiophile, or reaching the limits of what the K701 can do, but I would say it is about on par with or slightly better than what my Grado SR-225 can dish out using the same Headsix amp.

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhearthecowZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent a question into Dr. Jan to see whether a high-gain version of the headsix would drive them accordingly...
But yeah, I was considering the Move, except that's a bit out my price-range atm. I'm poor
580smile.gif

If you are disappointed by the K701's performance with the Headsix, I would not recommend the Move.

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Which do you think would give me the best value (relatively) with my K701's?

the one that has a gain setting (check skylab's review). i wouldnt buy the XM4. Maybe the mini on high gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back