Portable Amp for HD800
Feb 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #35 of 42
I recently added a HD800 to my stable and I've had very enjoyable results driving it with a Meier Quickstep.   The only thing is, it sucks the battery dry on that in a hurry!

I agree - it isnt the best match with a Conti V3.   Was listening to that combo yesterday and it sounds "lean".

I recently picked up a GoVibe Vulcan+ and need to experiment with it, to see how it sounds.

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #36 of 42
I wonder if the better route would be different headphones. High-end Sennheisers are renowned by their fans (and somewhere between misunderstood and reviled by everyone else) for their neutrality, not for a "thick" sound with "bottom slam." It might be a better idea to find a set that has the sound profile you want, then buy an amp to suit it.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #37 of 42
My 800 is always hook to WA6 as its the only amp that ive tried) that makes 800 sounds as "thick" as my planar or at least very close to it. Can you guys suggest a good portable amp that can make 800 sing the way it is hook to WA6?

Im was thinking of ALO Continental but its also very bright for my taste. Any other portable tube amp which is good enough to drive HD800?

Triad L3. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #38 of 42
I saw somebody recommending a Zana Deux in another thread. Hadn't even heard about it, but the person was very enthusiastic about it. Perhaps you should research that one.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #41 of 42
Cyper Labs Duet in balanced configuration. It's perfect for the HD800, adds body to the low range and very slightly tames the highs. The pure ii is more mid/high centric and hd800 may feel a bit anemic paired with it. I had the portaphiles too but highs still may be too pronounced. Also the porta may be too soft for the hd800.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #42 of 42
The Alo Continental Dual Mono (CDM) is excellent with the HD800s. Used balanced, there is loads of spare gain and Excellent control. I use the CDM in preference to my Liquid Carbon with a Hugo DAC. The fact that it's portable is just icing on the cake and it's internal DAC is excellent only losing out to the Hugo on a little resolution.

Cheers

Peter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back