portable amp for HD650s
Dec 23, 2005 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

RobG

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

I am looking for the best option for a portable amp to use with my Senn HD650s and nano. Opinions on cabling and interconnects would be great as well.

I apologize if this is a repeated thread. I've done some research and have seen the Hornet mentioned, the PAV2 (?), headroom products...any recomendations tailored specifically to the 650s? My price range is anywhere between $0-300.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep up the good work Head-Fi community!
580smile.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 20
PA2V2, despite low voltage/high current design, has proven to be very capable of driving my HD650 (to my surprise, in fact). It has plenty of volume headroom, though the op amp starts to struggle and clip mildly at around 10o'clock (measured that, it's over 100dB). A higher voltage amplifier would give you more volume headroom, but the HD650 is a surprisingly sensitive headphone and you'll only be hurting your ears if you get it much louder.

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 20
I typically use Xin Supermacro with Ety's, but it is very good with 650's. Xin's are the only portables I've used, so for comparisons I can only do my non-portables: not as good as GL Lite w/PSU, but only by a small amount, and about comparable when GL is without PSU; better detail and slam than Perreaux 0.5, but not as wide soundstage; cooler and less impact and depth than Woo3 (my favorite in the <$500 range).

And the above is when Xin's amps are on batteries - they really have amazing punch with senn 650's.

Dec 23, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
I really liked the Hornet with my 650s when I heard it at the tampa meet.

Found some info on the hornet - if I wanted to buy one, do I have to PM Ray? I didn't see them on his site... Also, is there a carrying case for the hornet? I saw someone used a cell phone case....? It'd be sweet if there was one that held your hornet and ipod @ the same time.

basshead.gif

Any suggestions for cabling?

Dec 23, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 20
I believe it comes with a carrying bag/pouch. Give him a call.

I'm still having an internal debate with myself... the $295 is very tempting... but I have enough portable amps

Dec 23, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobG
Found some info on the hornet - if I wanted to buy one, do I have to PM Ray? I didn't see them on his site... Also, is there a carrying case for the hornet? I saw someone used a cell phone case....? It'd be sweet if there was one that held your hornet and ipod @ the same time.

basshead.gif

Any suggestions for cabling?

You could do various options to keep them together. The cell phone case idea works. Some people seem to use livestrong bracelets. I'm sure there are many other choices. That said in order to order the Hornet you can call or PM Ray. You could also jusut paypal him the money and in the comments indicate your order.

As far as cabling goes, I'd probably get a pocket dock (or wait for TURBO to get in more TURBOdocks) and get some kind of mini to mini IC. RnB, HighFlyin, TURBO and Grand Enigma are just some of the people who can get that done for you.

Socrates...

Just do it!!!

Dec 23, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I believe it comes with a carrying bag/pouch. Give him a call.

I'm still having an internal debate with myself... the $295 is very tempting... but I have enough portable amps

Good to know!

I just want make my 295 is going to be everything I hope (and expect) it to be! From what I've read thus far, it will be.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobG
nice pics!

how did you attach the HORNET bag to your jeans?

The pouch the Hornet comes with has these tightning ropes so you can tighten the pouch. I just looped my belt threw the ropes..

How sturdy is it if someone grabs and runs?....not sure.
but it works wanders almost as though Ray thought of it when he picked out the pouch.

Dec 24, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #15 of 20
I use the Headroom Micro Amp to drive my HD650s using the Cardas Mini cable and Sound dock. This is normally attached to my iPod 5G - but I have tried it on my son's Nano and it works really well. The Nano also fits in the Headroom Micro bag better than the 5G in this config.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back