Portable amp for HD600's
Jan 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

field

New Head-Fier
is there anything in the $200 or less that does all of these things

1. drive some HD600 cans to thier full potential
2. can work off both/either external DC power or a rechargable battery
3. can both accept an analog input and/or plug into an mp3 player

please help me with any suggestions or anything you own that is like this and you love it. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 37
How big are you happy with? You could build a PPAv2. It's a hellavu brick but it'd power them half decently.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by field /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why is it only $100? it not only appears to have everything i want at the size i want but its black case with blue LED lighting would completely match my desktop......

I don't think it is the best. The Lisa III is supposed to hold that title and it's a modified PPAv2. You might be able to find someone on this forum that is willing to build you a PPAv2 for a good price

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 37
To the OP, my sincere advice.
For something like HD 600 I wouldn't advise you getting a portable amp. Under any circumstances you won't be taking HD 600s outside, instead you would listen to it at home or in some cases at work. Don't waste your money on portables, get a desktop/full-size amp for the same amount of money. Just my opinion, of course.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 37
to ad some flame, hd600 specs say it has max input power of 200mw, and many portable amps have more output power than that number. for example alo rx portable amp can output more than 1000mw, so why not?

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to ad some flame, hd600 specs say it has max input power of 200mw, and many portable amps have more output power than that number. for example alo rx portable amp can output more than 1000mw, so why not?

Voltage swing is more important with higher omh headphones

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Under any circumstances you won't be taking HD 600s outside, instead you would listen to it at home or in some cases at work. .

like i said i would use this amp for BOTH at my computer AND sometimes when driving long distances.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by field /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like i said i would use this amp for BOTH at my computer AND sometimes when driving long distances.

Well you could try the Headroom Micro. It has the option of running on batteries and plug in. It's a bit over your budget though, there's isn't much under 200 that can drive a HD600 properly.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 37
that looks like a good suggestion though it is roughly 175% of my so called 'budget'

ok.....let me backtrack here. If we were to try and quantify 'sound quality' (because i realize this is subjective) out of these headphones. With zero being NO amplification, just being plugged into the back of my x-fi card (no op-amps on it) and 100 being plugged into some hellacious tube amp. What would this accomplish

Leckerton Audio - Home

as opposed to this:

Headroom Micro Amp - Headphone Amplifier | HeadRoom Audio

or compared to this:

Emmeline "The Tomahawk" Portable Headphone Amp - Ray Samuels Audio

....or this?

vividaudiotech.com - Headphone Amplifiers

i apologize for all the questioning but i have no means of sampling ANYTHING and i have made purchases before on unrelated items that i regretted later.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 37
wait for the FiQuest round 2 and this will do the job very nicely indeed. IMO it beats my Lisa III in many areas, powers my HD600 about as good as 90% of the amps I have heard (and i've heard some serious amps) portable or not and when at home you can use the included transformer power supply and drive it with 24V. this amop with stacked buffers and AD797 is a dream and will output 1.4W into 8ohms. check out the appreciation thread and you will see how well regarded it is. at least one owner has sold their home gear because the FiQuest does a better job.

IMO it betters everything on your list

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 37
from your listed amps leckerton is out of production, rsa amp too weak, headroom more than 200$ and vivid v1 is most suitable - HeadphoneAddict says it has some nice synergy with hd600...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back