Portable amp for HD 650
Feb 2, 2007 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ted Goldie

New Head-Fier
I changed my ming you guys talked me into the HD650. I know I will upgrade later anyways go I might as well go for them HD650 now. I know need an amp. I would like it to be portable. I see many on the market but I don't want junk and I cannot afford a bad guess. I have about $200 Canadian to spend, which is about $170 US. Can you get a decent portable amp for this much? Thanks.

Feb 3, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 17
There are several choices, a few searches will bury you with small amp options in that price range. My direct experience in that price range is with a Total Bithead (same amplifier section as the Total Airhead which is around that $150-170 mark) which works very well with HD650s on high gain. The HD650 does benefit from a litlle more cash outlay IMHO, something like the Hornet or similar.

Feb 3, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 17
the senns have a bass hump which will be even more emphasized with a portable like the hornet which puts out strong bass...something like the xin's supermicro or the RSA sr-71, both of which has a more neutral and wide soundstage, may have better synergy with the 650's...

also, instead of using a copper interconnect, you may want to use a solid silver core interconnect at 26 or 28 gauge to emphasize the silky mids and highs of the senns and tone down the bass hump...the downside of solid silver is lack of flexibility compared to the copper stranded types...

Feb 3, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 17
Supermicro.. there's no other way
wink.gif
Prepare for the long wait

Actually, i've been enjoying the hornet a whole lot.. but only when it synergizes well with the headphones. Don't like it at all with k501, but LOVEEEDD it with ES2

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a few Head-Fi'ers that go ga-ga over the HD650 and Hornet combo.

Yep...and I'm one of 'em.
icon10.gif

Barry

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 17
What's your portable player? If something like the iPod let me recommend the C&C Box portable which livens up the iPod and Senns.

Feb 3, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 17
Yes I will be using an ipod and a home stereo with a really good turntable. I was leaning towards the C&C because of price and I heard and read it was pretty good with the HD 650 and the HD 595. Thanks.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

You saw me coming
biggrin.gif

Haven't heard any other portable amps though
frown.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 17
You might want to check out what the Xenos amp can do for you. You just missed the into offer, but the company is located in Canada, so you can bypass customs... I think the EPT was going for 179...

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Here's one!
cool.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 17
Isn't the Hornet out of the OP's price range?

I'd say the C&C Box makes a fine portable amp. The Go-Vibe should also. I would enter there, and then save money towards a non-portable amp for home enjoyment as your next upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back