Portable Amp for Grado SR80 and iPod 5 Gen
Apr 22, 2007 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Filosofem

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone, First of all I am just taking my first steps into the world of High End audio products. I had listened to the PX100 and PortaPro's and I thought I was hot stuff.... hahaha

And to note, This is my first post on Head-Fi. So I will advantage of this post to say hello to everyone interested!

Ok, Now for the question I have.

I just bought my first pair of quality cans, The Grado SR80's and I have an issue, The synthesizer side of my music is not as loud as I'd like it, and using Rockbox causes to much distortion.

I use a iPod 5th Gen along with the headphones I am wondering if an amp will help bring out all of the aspects in the music I listen to. Or if an amp will help at all.

Can anyone help me out with some suggestions?

Regards, and thanks for your time.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 2
Welcome to the forum. I make no apologies for your wallet
rs1smile.gif

I happen to be listening to my 325i and just compared amped to unamped with my 5.5 G iPod. At about 85% volume the iPod is plenty loud for me with the 325i connected to the iPod headphone jack.

If you plan to use a portable amp with your iPod you'll need to buy a line out dock for best sound quality if you didn't know this already.

You should figure spending atleast $100 on one of the popular choices. $350 will get you a top-notch amp capable of driving almost any dynamic headphone and could be used as a main home amp too.

Comparing the iPod headphone jack to my new favorite amp, the AE-2, there is an obvious improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back