Portable Amp for Fidue A83 IEMs
Jan 28, 2015 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jangojames

New Head-Fier
Just picked up a pair of Fidue A83s and I'm looking for portable amp (and possibly DAC) recommendations. I'm looking for something that doesn't leave too much of a footprint on the sound signature, but slightly more forward mids might be nice. I definitely don't want any more bass impact or a darker sound. A DAC could come in handy, but I'd want the option of bypassing the DAC with an analog in. Let's say in the $200-$400 range.

Any suggestions?

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 5
The A83 is only 11 Ohms. That's going to be tough to amp. They are also pretty sensitive, are you sure you really need an amp?

I would probably be looking at the RSA Tomahawk:
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/tomahawk

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 5
If you have an Apple phone then it may be worthwhile getting a separate DAC/Amp, or maybe you can consider getting a dedicated media player, these will have a bit more juice and quality than the average phone. Good choice though, we love the A83 here.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the responses, and the Tomahawk recommendation, I'll take a look. Yes, I'm really happy with the A83. It strikes a really great balance between being neutral and fun.

They're very sensitive, so I realize that rules out a fair number of portable amps. I have a pair of NAD HP50s which are 30 ohms. I would use the amp for that as well. I guess what I'm thinking is versatility, something that would improve the listening experience with what I have and support a future upgrade, which is why I'm considering something with a good DAC as well. I'm using these primarily with an iPhone and a laptop. I'm not considering a dedicated player just yet, because I'd need to increase my budget to get something I'd be happy with. 

Also, any recommendations on good places to find used gear beyond the Head-fi classifieds and eBay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back