Portable Amp for Clip+ and Audio Technica ATH-A900x's
Nov 28, 2013 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ZokharaFi

New Head-Fier
I need recommendations for an amp for my new set-up. I just bought Audio Technica ATH-A900x's and a SanDisk Clip+ with a 32gb MicroSD to go with it and they are all still in the mail, so I don't know if I even really do need an amp at all, or what would be a good portable amp to buy if I should.

First of all, I will be playing my music mostly through the Clip+ but occasionally through my computer via foobar2000 (no soundcard on PC). Most of my audio files are the lossy 320kbps MP3, but I also have a substantial amount of music that is lossless FLAC.

I've never used amps for headphones before so I really don't know much more than what I have researched. So far I have mostly looked at Fiio's. The E11 looked good at first but it seems that most users have a problem with some scratchy interference, so I don't want to go there. I have also looked at the E7 but I am aware that it is both an amp and a DAC, and i'm not sure if I need it or not or if it would help with my particular player or not etc. I have looked at others like the E12 and E17 but that's out of my price range. I would like to spend under $100.

Summary:
Is an amp needed with my set-up?
Is an amp with a DAC aswell needed?
Depending on those answers, which is a good amp/DAC to go with for $100 or less.

Thank you for reading, your time and consideration is highly appreciated. If there is any more information I can provide, please ask and I will promptly reply.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 3
Heya,

You don't need an amp. But an amp can be useful if you want to add extra bass or tweak sound with hardware, etc.

But if you want an amp, and also have the chance to use an USB dac/amp when on your computer, the Fiio E07k would be a good option in your price range.

I wouldn't get another device yet. I would just listen on your Clip+ and see what you think. If you find you use your computer often and want to use your headphone there, then consider an USB dac/amp (like the Fiio E07k).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back