Portable Amp For AKG 702s?
Oct 30, 2011 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

FatmanSize48

1000+ Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of AKG K702s about a week ago for $260 on Amazon. I am loving them so far, but would like to be able to use them away from home. Any recommendations for a portable amp for them would be great. Also, do you guys recommend any nice carrying cases for them?

Budget is $300, will go up if need be

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 11
At the OC meet, I used my AKG Q701's (really the same headphones) and the Fiio 10 (under $100) was a very good and warm portable. I has bass boost which helps with the low's and can actually power the K's and Q's. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 11
I've been using a K701 (1000+ hours of use) and felt that without an amp, the soundstage and clarity was great, but the bass, while audible and had lots of extension, lacked that "thump". Using a FiiO E11 on EQ 2, high gain, and high power results in the same clarity and analytical sound it always has produced, but adds more kick to the bass while retaining the extension and depth.

This is from using my Zune HD with 320kb MP3s and WMA Lossless files as the source.

This is just my suggestion if you want to buy a cheaper amp to save some money. You can get a new one for around $65 USD on Amazon.

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 11
If cost is not an issue, would you guys recommend the E7 over the E11? For the most part I will be using the amp for my iPod, but will occasionally use it with my laptop...

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
I've been using a K701 (1000+ hours of use) and felt that without an amp, the soundstage and clarity was great, but the bass, while audible and had lots of extension, lacked that "thump". Using a FiiO E11 on EQ 2, high gain, and high power results in the same clarity and analytical sound it always has produced, but adds more kick to the bass while retaining the extension and depth.

This is from using my Zune HD with 320kb MP3s and WMA Lossless files as the source.

This is just my suggestion if you want to buy a cheaper amp to save some money. You can get a new one for around $65 USD on Amazon.

The added kick to the bass has more to do with that EQ setting than the rest of the amp. You could probably get the same effect from a software EQ, but the (potentially) cleaner signal from the E11 versus the Zune's headphone jack is an added benefit.

Quote:
If cost is not an issue, would you guys recommend the E7 over the E11? For the most part I will be using the amp for my iPod, but will occasionally use it with my laptop...

The E11 has more power, about twice as much. That's probably a good thing for the K701s. Cost not an issue? Get the E11 for the iPod, and if you ever feel the urge to use it with your laptop, get a $30 Behringer UCA202 and an RCA-to-mini cable, then use that as your DAC. Might look a little silly daisy chaining components from a laptop, but the UCA202 performs as well as the E7's DAC, better in many cases.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks guys! I'm going with the E11 :D

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 11
If you were to start a good thread asking about a good case/bag for the K702s, where would you guys put it?

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
If you were to start a good thread asking about a good case/bag for the K702s, where would you guys put it?

Full size headphones section. 

Keep us posted once you get the e11. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Good luck, and please, do post back you impression here.

So far I have not had any luck with portable amps on AKG702. Transportable probably, but portable, meh. Tried Fiio, as well as iBasso Cobra.

I ended up buying another phone.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Suprised no one suggested the p51 from Ray Samuels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back