Portable amp for AKG 240DF?
Oct 6, 2007 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jplacson

New Head-Fier
I saw a few older threads here regarding the AKG 240DFs.

I currently use these in the studio mostly for tracking and listening for glitches in recorded tracks. I do like how they sound, and they bring out a lot of detail. They're not bright, and they come prety close to Mackie monitors (which I reference them against)

Now, I would like to be able to use these on the go since I'm already familiar with them... one thing I have found is that they do lack bass. In the old days when mixing was done with 2 full range speakers, these cans would probably be really close to those... but now that subwoofers are common place in the studios as well, these are accurate but don't compensate for the new generation of playback systems.

In the studio, I compensate for this with very mild EQing.. I slight curve starting at the 100hz and lower makes these cans really close to the Mackie + sub setup I like.

So, I was wondering which of the new slew of portable amps (I was looking at the Corda Move) has stronger bass in the 100hz and lower area? Any boost higher than this and the 240DFs shows muddiness already. since these are relatively flat cans.

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Aren't the DF 600 Ohms? I''m guessing that the amp needs to be fairly powerful. The Move has been reported to have very good bass performance.

There are some portable amps with bass tweaks I think but the one I'm thinking of is expensive (Larocco ??).

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 6
The K240DF is one of the most inefficient of the AKGs, it makes the K240M and K240 Sextett seem easy to drive by comparison. I definitely wouldn't get a portable amp for them without first making sure it has enough gain and voltage swing.

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks guys... I actually emailed Jan Meier and he's pretty confident that the MOVE can drive 600Ohm cans. The maximum input of the 240DFs is 200mW which is about 11v I think... the MOVE can do 9v on high gain setting.

Fitz, yes I know they're inefficient...but I got used to them already in the studio... albeit no crossfeed. If the MOVE enhanced bass freq below 100Hz just a bit, I might end up using it in the studio as well just for the crossfeed!
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, have you tried the new AKG 324 IEMs? Are they any good? Can you compare them to any Shure IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back