Portable amp for a new audio junkie?
Apr 15, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Sounds like it's really just personal preference here and since I'm only getting one to start I'd like to get my $$ worth no matter where I am. I don't see many comments on the Headroom Supreme, how does it stack up against the Super and SR71??

The Supreme is a high quality amp, there is no doubt. Sometimes the HeadRoom amps don't get a lot of love because they may appear to be a bit higher priced. But when you consider you're buying from a reputable manufacturer that will be around for a long time to come for support or upgrades, it adds a lot of value. Not to knock any of the superb amp builders around here, but HeadRoom is bona fide company, whereas some guys are doing this in their spare time, in their garage or basement. Without the cost of overhead, these guys can undercut HeadRoom. Do you get more bang for your buck? Yes, but if they disappear after a year and the amp breaks down, what do you do? I'm not saying that the amps will break or that these guys will disappear. It's just a consideration.

I had the pleasure of holding onto a Supreme for a little while for the November NYC meet. I really enjoyed the sound. It was clear, uncolored and upfront - an immediate sound that really put you in the driver's seat. I'm not too fond of the crossfeed filter but it's a nice feature to have sometimes.

If you're considering a Supreme, you might want to think about an XP-7. I think it sounds better than the SR-71 depending on synergy and opamps, etc. To me, it has a sweeter midrange than the Supreme and a bit wider soundstage.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these amps.

Apr 15, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #17 of 50
I must say.. I am getting tempted with the PV2 again. But i need to remind myself there isn't that much point getting an amp right now with my source. Even my UM2 is not being used much... Just can't find the "right" DAP though. *Sigh*

Apr 15, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Sounds like it's really just personal preference here and since I'm only getting one to start I'd like to get my $$ worth no matter where I am

SR71. Every amp has its followers but you won't find any sr71 haters here, so if there's one amp to get, that's it. SM V3 is getting good reviews and seem to stack up against the sr71 well, but sr71 has been out for a while. It's time-tested, and ubiquitously acclaimed. So if you don't like the sr71, then something's wrong with your ears!
biggrin.gif
(just kidding)

But seriously, I've read a few who can barely tell the difference between an sr71 ($400) and a go-vibe ($70). So headphone amps aren't for everyone. Who knows, you might even prefer the portaphile over the sr71 (I do for some materials). Toss a quarter and take out your credit card.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I've read a few who can barely tell the difference between an sr71 ($400) and a go-vibe ($70).

Sometimes it's the source that's the limiting factor, especially in the portable world. It doesn't make sense to use a $400 amp if your source is going to be the bottleneck. From a poor source, I've had trouble distinguishing a well made META42 from an XP-7. Put a good source on it and the differences become more apparent.

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I have found nothing that surpasses the sound of the SuperMacro V3, it is truly amazing. You can also charge the internal batteries while listening to it and it has the option of changing the two opamps to suit your musical bias (much like changing the output tubes in a tube amplifier). It is about 3/4 of an inch thick and the width and length of a credit card. I now use it for most of all my home listening.

There are many posts on Head Fi regarding the SR71 and the SuperMacro V3.

John

John --

I'm sure sure the SM V3 is truly amazing -- and we all know it's tiny, self-chargeable, opamp-rollable and has enough "bells & whistles" to be supremely flexible in many practical ways. Perhaps when I've heard a few configs of V3 I'll enjoy it as much ... but shall I throw up the HYPERBOLE flag at "I have found nothing that surpasses the sound of the SuperMacro V3..."? I've been reading such enthusiastic exclamations for a while, so I figured it's time to throw my 2 cents in.

Can you qualify that with a bit more precise detail, or did you mean that literally?

As I said, after auditioning it I may be thrilled with the sound, but when I hear/read that an amp is the best thing since sliced bread, the skeptical hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Apr 16, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

As I said, after auditioning it I may be thrilled with the sound, but when I hear/read that an amp is the best thing since sliced bread, the skeptical hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Good point. I bought the SM V1 as my first amp because someone mentioned it was "musical nirvana."
rolleyes.gif
I learned from that point on that most reviews are filled with hyperboles. Every amp has a weakness, and a review that doesn't reveal the amps' weaknesses is undoubtedly biased, especially coming from an owner. Now everytime I see a review, I just look for the negatives-- if there isn't any, then I take the review as hyperbole or an over-enthusiastic owner.

Apr 16, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Good point. I bought the SM V1 as my first amp because someone mentioned it was "musical nirvana."
rolleyes.gif
I learned from that point on that most reviews are filled with hyperboles. Every amp has a weakness, and a review that doesn't reveal the amps' weaknesses is undoubtedly biased, especially coming from an owner. Now everytime I see a review, I just look for the negatives-- if there isn't any, then I take the review as hyperbole or an over-enthusiastic owner.

The SM V3 may indeed by a great amp -- I just felt that a little more thorough, or careful description would be useful. If John felt it's the best portable ever, to his tastes, that's fine. If he really meant it's the best amp ever made -- I'd be a bit wary.

Apr 16, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #24 of 50
I dont mean to add another to the mix, I know your having a hard enough time deciding, but I wouldnt forget about the new Larocco Pocket Reference. I have heard very good things about the older one, and the new one is supposed to be improved. Here is a link. http://laroccoaudio.net/pocketref.html
I personally have an SR-71 and I could not honestly say anything bad about it. The ONLY thing I would kinda like is a a/c option. But it really is not that big of deal since the SR-71 gets between 50 & 70 hrs. on alkaline batteries. So I dont really care that much.

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
...after auditioning it I may be thrilled with the sound, but when I hear/read that an amp is the best thing since sliced bread, the skeptical hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Really, I don't know what's so great about sliced bread, anyway. Give me a hard, crusty loaf, fragrant with the smell of wheat and yeast and let me tear it apart with my bare hands.
tongue.gif

Perhaps John did mean this quite literally and it may very well have been the best amp he's ever heard. It's not such a stretch, as the amp is very good sounding (I had one for a couple of days but had to send it back for technical reasons) and how many amps can a person really listen to in a lifetime? Uh, well, um, nevermind - I forgot this was Head-Fi.

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
The SM V3 may indeed by a great amp -- I just felt that a little more thorough, or careful description would be useful. If John felt it's the best portable ever, to his tastes, that's fine. If he really meant it's the best amp ever made -- I'd be a bit wary.

Of interest may be this opposing post, where a Head-Fi member looking for a portable amp was able to try the SuperMacro V3 out, but "found the improvement to [his] ipod + um2 only around 5%" and "really subtle" to a point where it "[made him] re-consider whether it's worth the extra weight for outdoor use." [size=xx-small](Words within brackets were modified for tense.)[/size]

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by waltermeyer
I dont mean to add another to the mix, I know your having a hard enough time deciding, but I wouldnt forget about the new Larocco Pocket Reference. I have heard very good things about the older one, and the new one is supposed to be improved. Here is a link. http://laroccoaudio.net/pocketref.html
I personally have an SR-71 and I could not honestly say anything bad about it. The ONLY thing I would kinda like is a a/c option. But it really is not that big of deal since the SR-71 gets between 50 & 70 hrs. on alkaline batteries. So I dont really care that much.

It's hard to throw the Pocket Reference out there since nobody has heard the new model. Even the specs on that page aren't entirely accurate as I know they are trying to get the size down from the dimensions listed on the site. I've actually put my money down on it but that was already a month ago and I honestly don't know when I'm going to get the amp. I'm not worried that I wont' get it but how many people are willing to but up that kind of scratch for something they won't get for a while and nobody has heard? Damn, I keep forgetting where I am!
eek.gif

Lest some people take this the wrong way, I am in no way complaining about the wait or about Larocco Audio service or quality. I knew what I was getting myself into and am happy to wait until the release date. I'm just saying that it might be dangerous to throw an untested product out as a recommendation.

Apr 17, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Really, I don't know what's so great about sliced bread, anyway. Give me a hard, crusty loaf, fragrant with the smell of wheat and yeast and let me tear it apart with my bare hands.
tongue.gif

Perhaps John did mean this quite literally and it may very well have been the best amp he's ever heard. It's not such a stretch, as the amp is very good sounding (I had one for a couple of days but had to send it back for technical reasons) and how many amps can a person really listen to in a lifetime? Uh, well, um, nevermind - I forgot this was Head-Fi.

I'll take a tangy sour dough boule from Amy's Bread over an SM3 or LaRocco PR any day -- tastes much better and saves big on dental bills from biting the bullet on black boxes (just had to try some aliteration).

Okay - maybe at the spring/summer "NYC-Metro Meet" we'll garner all the good small amps in a corner and try to make some notes. You and I will have to grab and horde lots of great headphones for the study!!!

Hey! If I solicit all the right amp samples, how 'bout you enlist the headphones mfrs and solicit review samples of their wares!?!?!
k1000smile.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #29 of 50
I can only state what I hear and how it makes me feel. I find that the emotional impact of the music when played through the V3 exciting, gripping and totally involving if the music is well recorded. I do not use an Ipod. I only use CD's that go through the Monica II with asynchronous reclocking. This makes a big difference. As stated in my review, you need a good source to obtain some of the magic. The V3 also needs 100 plus hours of musical time to really open up. You see, it is not that I believe it is the best amp ever made, how would I know that? What the V3 does is it gets me closer to the music in an emotional and spiritual way and for me, this is what it is all about. If someone gets value from what I have experienced and relayed fine, if not, what I hear will not change.

John

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #30 of 50
I just received a superb Ascent from Shellbrook Labs. It is modestly priced, surperbly detailed, open and transparent - it blows away the Creek OBH-11SE I have been using. Headphones used are Senn 580, Grado RS2's and SR 225's. It's a great amp.

Some posts on this site allude to problems with Shellbrook delivering on time but I had a great experience. They also make beautifully crafted cables.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back