Portable amp for a home setup?
Oct 1, 2007 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lim(x->0)

Head-Fier
I have around $60-100 to spend for an amp for my home setup. I hear many great things about the 0404 USB but it is simply out of my price range.

Would running something like a Go-Vibe 5 or PA2V2 show improvement in sound quality with my AV710 and SR80s? Thoughts please.

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 8
No one has any impute?
frown.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Chaintech Av-710
GoVibe v5
Sennheiser HD555

*Im no audio professional and this is my first real pair of headphones*

The Line out from the soundcard bass sounds "muddy". Using the line out with the govibe it really cleans up the bass and sounds a lot clearer, not as bassy though.
Volume control is very sensitive using only the line out, have to keep it at like 15-20% any higher and I'd lose my hearing. With the govibe its perfect, precise volume control.
They're not the same headphones but you might have similar results. Anyways, a Line Out is not supposed to be connected headphones because of the impedance difference.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 8
For home setups, most people have a DAC, amp, and sound card? If you are running a DAC does that not go through the sound card, or does it depend on the DAC?

I'm confused here.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Soundcard(digital out) -> Dac-> Amp-> Headphones

Some DAC's have a usb input so it can be used as a soundcard also. This way you skip the soundcard's digital output.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 8
I just build my mini3/ Alien DAC combo and I am very very pleased with the sound.
I’ve heard some nice gear and I can tell you - to get noticeable better sound then that combo you will spend some nice bucks!

So I would suggest you to go for:
Laptop/PC USB --> Alien DAC --> AMB Labs mini3 --> headphones.

The mini3 cost $90-110 and Alien DAC $50-60 and you done!

Just my 2c

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just build my mini3/ Alien DAC combo and I am very very pleased with the sound.
I’ve heard some nice gear and I can tell you - to get noticeable better sound then that combo you will spend some nice bucks!

So I would suggest you to go for:
Laptop/PC USB --> Alien DAC --> AMB Labs mini3 --> headphones.

The mini3 cost $90-110 and Alien DAC $50-60 and you done!

Just my 2c

I was looking at the mini^3 or the Go-Vibe 7/6 amp if I could find it in the For Sale forums, which would be better?

The music I listen to on my computer is all in V0 through foobar. When would this become the limiting factor in my setup, if the headphones are RS-1 or something equivalent or higher?

edit: Im even looking at a PA2V2 since they are supposed to go graet with Grados and its a good entry level amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back