Portable Amp/DAC
Jul 1, 2015 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cobhc2013

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Recently bought a pair of HD600's to go alongside my SE425's and I'd like to find an amp that I can use on the go for the SE425's and at home for the HD600's.

I also like the idea of the Fiio stuff with the portable being able to dock into the desktop. I have a Fiio E7; should I get a E9? Do any other manufacturers do that?

Thank you.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 8
I can't think of another arrangement whereby one item fits with another like the E7/E17 and E9 do - but they might be out there.

If you're in the UK we have a few refurbished E9 units still on sale via Ebay for £44.99 - I can vouch for the fact that they are excellent desktop amps for the money, it's just a shame Fiio seems to have moved on in terms of its designs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-E9-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier-and-Dock-Black-Refurbished-/221708005097

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 8
The E12 would probably be the best portable option from Fiio-Also look into the Cayin C5, they're both really good.

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 8
Hmm, I may have read that wrong - surely E7 for portable and E9 for at home (or you can fit them together)? - anyway it's the weekend so what the hey..!

Plus I'm an E12 owner too - they are very good.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm slightly put off the E12 or the Cayin because of being an amp only. Even though I stated Amp/DAC in the subject I realise I didn't in my actual post. It'd be run off a OnePlus One or a 2013 Nexus 7 on the go which both get decent reviews when plugged into an amp but I like the idea of not being tied to the devices DAC.

@Steve - I did see your E9's on eBay the other day. It's very tempting for the price and from what I gather the E12 isn't much hotter than the E9 output wise is it?

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 8
I can't think of another arrangement whereby one item fits with another like the E7/E17 and E9 do - but they might be out there.

If you're in the UK we have a few refurbished E9 units still on sale via Ebay for £44.99 - I can vouch for the fact that they are excellent desktop amps for the money, it's just a shame Fiio seems to have moved on in terms of its designs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-E9-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier-and-Dock-Black-Refurbished-/221708005097

Ordered :)

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Good stuff, that's a lot of amp for the money!

I've not compared the two directly but I'd guess the E9 has more oomph simply due to the fact it's mains powered, and I remember a fair bit of headroom being available even after getting some very loud sounds through it using thirsty headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back