Portable AMP/DAC vs portable AMP - recommendations and comments
Mar 7, 2017 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Shaitan

New Head-Fier
...just bumping it...hope someone replies

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could help with your knowledge and opinion on whether it would be better to go with a portable AMP/DAC or sole portable AMP - the two I have been looking at are FIIO Alpen 2 (DAC/AMP) and FIIO A5 (AMP). Both fit within the budget I have set aside (although any recommendations are welcome).

I want to use it as portable addition to listen to music from my phone as a source. I would either use at home or plane/train etc while travelling, definitely not on daily commute (I use the AKG for this).

Currently I have headphones (Grado SR60, Sony MDR-XB700, AKG K450) , which are not difficult to drive, but also plan on expanding with a nice set of closed back headphones (Bayerdinamic DT770 - 32/80 ohm versions - again budget restrains but once again if you have other suggestions, please let me know).

I also have the FIIO E6, which when used with the Sony's seems to make the biggest difference in terms of sound quality and volume. Yet I feel it will not be sufficient if I decide to invest in bit more audiophile headphones.

Does it make sense to go for either of the above, given my set up and which one would be the better option.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers

p.s. I had this thread in the portable amp forum as I had not noticed the suggestion to post here such threads (not sure how to delete/move the one from there however) :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back