Portable AMP/DAC vs Iphone Confusion !
Dec 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Macedon223

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

So i recently just ordered Mad Dogs by Mr.Speakers, needless to say there is no shortage of compliments and good things to say about these headphones. Im waiting on a Schitt Lyr as a dedicated for these headphones. Now, a friend has lent me a brand new Leckerton Audio UHA6s-MKII AMP/DAC to play around with. This is my first time playing with a external DAC/AMP combination. Im listening through this amp as we speak and comparing it directly to an Iphone 5 with a set of random Bose IEM's i have laying around and I am confused as to why i like the sound directly from my iphone better than through my VOX-->Macbook pro-->USB--->Leckerton setup ? Im utterly confused and don't really have a logical reasoning for this other than I may not be sending the music through to the Leck correctly ? Now, I wasn't expecting a mind-blowing nirvana of an experience, but the fact that a 300$ amp/dac and an iphone are comparable to me is astonishing. Is this because of the IEM's ? Also, im guessing that the Leck wont be anywhere near powerful enough to juice up the MadDogs for portable use. Id be lugging it over to the library as i am currently in Pharmacy school. I appreciate the time from any knowledgable members on this forum. 

-Mace

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 11
What is it about the sound from the ipod that you like better? Can you describe the difference? Did you VERY carefully match the volume between the two tests?

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the reply. Its not really that i like it better, its more so the fact that the difference between these two mediums is virtually indistinguishable to me. The leckerton is a ~300$ amp/dac. So I should hear a notable difference between it and an Iphone 5 without having to "carefully" match them. There is no more "clarity" ,"openess" or overall difference at all in between going back and forth between the iphone and the setup mentioned in my first post. If there is a difference, its slightly clearer to me, but nothing that warrants its need. Im thinking that the IEM's im using are bad and arent capable of articulating what the Leck is doing. Or my setup is wrong.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 11
  Thanks for the reply. Its not really that i like it better, its more so the fact that the difference between these two mediums is virtually indistinguishable to me. The leckerton is a ~300$ amp/dac. So I should hear a notable difference between it and an Iphone 5 without having to "carefully" match them. There is no more "clarity" ,"openess" or overall difference at all in between going back and forth between the iphone and the setup mentioned in my first post. If there is a difference, its slightly clearer to me, but nothing that warrants its need. Im thinking that the IEM's im using are bad and arent capable of articulating what the Leck is doing. Or my setup is wrong.

If it's the IEMs then for one thing those are likely efficient enough and don't strain the iPhone's amplification for more current than it can deliver. You don't need that much more power or current from the separate amp than what the iPhone can give it before it hits audible distortion levels (the higher the output level, the higher the THD), so even if the iPhone had more measurable distortion at that level than the separate amp at your listening level, it's still not audible anyway, so the amp doesn't make a difference.

If the sound is slightly clearer on the iPhone, then there's something happening after the signal leaves the phone. Were you using the Leckerton with the iPhone, or with a computer? If it's the iPhone, are you using the Leckerton's DAC section with the iPhone's USB audio output?

Also, im guessing that the Leck wont be anywhere near powerful enough to juice up the MadDogs for portable use. Id be lugging it over to the library as i am currently in Pharmacy school. I appreciate the time from any knowledgable members on this forum. 

Best to just try them first; as for lugging them around, what other stuff are you taking with you on a daily basis? The right bag can be very helpful - not only would a nice bag fit all your stuff including your portable audio system, but a proper strap design can make lugging them around much easier than on a cheap bag. My daily bag is a BBP laptop bike messenger bag (plus two Crumpler Haven padded inserts, Medium size) that not only swallows a lot of stuff but the strap design is conducive for running up and down to the trains (although 80% of the time I just drive, but it still helps ergonomically). I only bring IEMs in an Otterbox and use my smartphone as a player, but if I didn't have all the other stuff I can easily fit circumaural headphones in there with the right kind of padded inserts.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 11
I have said many, many times that the actual differences in sound between modern solidstate amps that can supply adequate power to a specific headphone is MUCH smaller than any of the audiophile reviews, discussions and posts indicate. IMHO, it's part of the mystique of being a golden-eared audiophile. We exaggerate small differences and we NEVER say we don't hear a difference. Is there really a difference in amps? Yes, probably - but these differences (given the assumptions I already mentioned) are FAR from night & day. At best, they are very subtle. I see the amp's job as one of supplying clean adequate power for the load. If it can do that, then it is a good amp.

If you really want a different sound, change the headphones, not the amp.

As you can imagine, with my heretical opinions, I stay OUT of the Summit-Fi & Amp forums! :p

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 11
The iPhone's DAC+amp is way under-rated. IMO, you don't need an external DAC and amp at all if you're using high sensitivity IEMs and HPs.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 11
I can say with all honesty that i think this thread just saved me a whole lot of time, and a whole lot of money in the future. Invaluable really. Its good to see some knowledgeable people speak their honest opinion. Seems to me like every piece of technology and its philosophy of use are defended to no end, and i was apprehensive in even posting my experience out of fear of being burned at the stake
wink.gif
.  I just honestly couldnt tell a difference between the amp/dac and a dam iphone5. Gave it back to my friend and gave him the word. He was a little bugged out as well. Anyway got a sick deal on a Blue Aura v30 at a local audio shop of 250$ for the amp without speakers. Steal in my opinion so ill use those to power my MD's. 

I have said many, many times that the actual differences in sound between modern solidstate amps that can supply adequate power to a specific headphone is MUCH smaller than any of the audiophile reviews, discussions and posts indicate. IMHO, it's part of the mystique of being a golden-eared audiophile. We exaggerate small differences and we NEVER say we don't hear a difference. Is there really a difference in amps? Yes, probably - but these differences (given the assumptions I already mentioned) are FAR from night & day. At best, they are very subtle. I see the amp's job as one of supplying clean adequate power for the load. If it can do that, then it is a good amp.

If you really want a different sound, change the headphones, not the amp.

As you can imagine, with my heretical opinions, I stay OUT of the Summit-Fi & Amp forums!
tongue.gif

^Haha I think Ill follow suit ! Everything with a grain of salt right ?

If it's the IEMs then for one thing those are likely efficient enough and don't strain the iPhone's amplification for more current than it can deliver. You don't need that much more power or current from the separate amp than what the iPhone can give it before it hits audible distortion levels (the higher the output level, the higher the THD), so even if the iPhone had more measurable distortion at that level than the separate amp at your listening level, it's still not audible anyway, so the amp doesn't make a difference.

If the sound is slightly clearer on the iPhone, then there's something happening after the signal leaves the phone. Were you using the Leckerton with the iPhone, or with a computer? If it's the iPhone, are you using the Leckerton's DAC section with the iPhone's USB audio output?

Best to just try them first; as for lugging them around, what other stuff are you taking with you on a daily basis? The right bag can be very helpful - not only would a nice bag fit all your stuff including your portable audio system, but a proper strap design can make lugging them around much easier than on a cheap bag. My daily bag is a BBP laptop bike messenger bag (plus two Crumpler Haven padded inserts, Medium size) that not only swallows a lot of stuff but the strap design is conducive for running up and down to the trains (although 80% of the time I just drive, but it still helps ergonomically). I only bring IEMs in an Otterbox and use my smartphone as a player, but if I didn't have all the other stuff I can easily fit circumaural headphones in there with the right kind of padded inserts.

^ Yea im assuming with IEM's of that nature that only DAC will make a slight difference at that point and not the amp V itself. And no my friend, sound was SLIGHT clearer from the Leck and only a little bit louder. Also, you just reminded me to invest in a new bag ! Honestly forgot how the right bag deems to make the whole day easier. Checkin out some Mil-Spec 16oz bags atm. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 11
If you're happily listening, that's all that matters.

BUT!

I will add that I got a set of etymotic er4p's and was immediately pleased with my iPod or iPhone. I even tried them with my friend's RWA Imod (5.5 gen) and a nice portable amp and only noticed a subtle difference. Same songs, volume, file type. So I was happy for a long while. Then I found a used jds labs C5 for $100 and decided to get the er4S adaptor. That's when I really noticed loved the difference. For now, I can't go back. But up until then I was more than cool. The upgrades do add up, however subtle they are. Once they are all in place you'll hear something different, but As a musician I am a believer in just getting something and listening, which is always enough...

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Adding the P->S adapter is the equivalent of changing the headphones - they are no longer the ER4P that sounded fine directly with the iPod. Ety used to publish the difference in frequency response between the ER4P & ER4S. It isn't a huge difference, but it is a significant difference. It also changes the requirements of the amp - that resistor increases the power requirements, so, depending on the volume you wish to achieve, an amp is probably needed to match that volume. This is all perfectly consistent!

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 11
  ...sound was SLIGHT clearer from the Leck and only a little bit louder. 

Was that total volume, ie, the max setting you can go? Or the max setting your ears will tolerate? Because if it's the latter that's not surprising at all, even my SGS3 can get my HD600 to a loud enough level, however hook it up to a real amp and even if it's playing louder it stays clearer, especially the detail on the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back