Portable amp/dac that works with a iphone
Apr 14, 2012 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bowmanonesky

New Head-Fier
Hi i have bough a pair of Ultrasone pro 900 and was wondering if anyone could help me out?
I am looking for a portable dac/amp for the pro 900. Ive tried searching through headfi but seem to be going in cycles. I have a powerful amp at home (Wa2) so now i want a portable dac/amp was looking at the fiio e17 it looks perfect for the size and looks nice. I want to use a dac/amp with my iphone any suggestions if not the e17 something around that size. The reason i havnt bought the fiio e17 because i heard that the e17 dac dose not work with the iphone would this be a problem? I am aware of the Fostex Hp-p1 but its way too expensive. Something around $100-200 would be great. Sorry for my spelling and grammar.
Thank you very much. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 8
Finding DAC for the iDevice is tough (I think only one or two), and expensive just for the DAC (>$500).
Two choices I can suggest:
a) Get a decent music player, the DACs are pretty good for the money.
b) Just stick with your idevice.

If you already have a solid state amp at home you can try the sound with/without an amp with your iDevice to see if there's any difference and whether you need an amp. Impedance wise your headphones seem drivable.
If you go for Fiio, you do get a DAC that you can use with your pc/laptop as well.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 8
 I am also looking for a good portable amp/dac combo in the $100-$250 range for my SE535's , which I can use with my Iphone/Ipod and also with my pc, instead of the ****ty stock  pc soundcard.  I understand that you get what you pay for.  And that a $200 combo may not compare with the $395 Shadow.  However, I do not have $395 to spend on a portable dca/amp.  I sepnt the $ on the IEMs. So, to second the OP, if any of you had $100-$200+ to spare on a portable headphone  Amp/DAC, which one would you get?

Even though i am no fan of mass-produced popular solutions, the reviews for the Fiio E17 are not that bad.  Is it a good choice? or for the $ is possible to buy something better? What about the HRT HeadStreamer? 

From my research, seems to me that Ibasso are pretty good and they are relatively cheap. Has anybody tried them? I seem to be inclined towards the D7, though i would like if anybody here could give me some guidance. The D4, D2, DB1 and even the D6 and the D12 are similarly priced.  Any suggestions between any of those?  any comparison b/w those and the E17 and the Headstreamer or they are just in another level?
any help would be greatly apreciated. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 8
There is a point after which there are diminishing returns.
As such for the SE535 there's no need for an amp, and with the iPod I doubt you need a DAC.
For your pc you can go for a dedicated DAC.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Im also looking for a AMP/DAC for my ipod touch/clip+ and ultrasone DJ1's. Ive heard of the Fiio E17 and the ibasso d7. My pc sound card is asus xonar dg

I've heard about the Fiio E17 as a combo, you can search the forums for reviews.
Standalone I've heard good reviews about the HRT Streamer II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back