Portable amp/DAC that takes digital output of an iPod??
Mar 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hesson11

New Head-Fier
I've been searching, but perhaps my newbie's limited understanding is preventing me from finding an understandable answer.

I'm wondering if there is a portable headphone amp with internal DAC that will accept the digital output of an iPod (a 160GB Classic, in my case) and processes the signal with its own DAC.

I just recently learned that it's possibile to extract the iPod's digital signal before it passes to the iPod's own internal DAC (i.e., products like the Pure i20 dock). So I'm wondering if the same thing is done by any portable headphone amps.  I'd appreciate any answers. Thanks a lot.

-Bob

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Yes, there are some.

You use a LOD (line out device) that goes from your charging/USB port. That's how the digital signal is transferred w/ out going through the DAC. Then you plug it in to the amp/dac and it receives the digital signal and turns it into analog (what we can hear). 

Sony PHA-1
Ray Samuels (he's got a few like the intruder)

For separate 
ALO audio (they have an amp, not sure about the dac/amp)
AlgoRythm solo (DAC) (also have a newer dB version)

There should be some on the gift guide made by Jude and the others.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 5
As far as I know there are only a handful of products that meet your needs:
Sony PHA-1
Fostex HP-P1
Centrance Hifi-M8 (not yet released)

Similar products:
Algorhythm Solo (DAC only)
V-Moda VAMP (iPhone only)
Nuforce iDo (not portable...)

USB digital output from the iPod is encrypted so only Apple-approved devices with some special hardware (for data decryption) work.

Quote:
I've been searching, but perhaps my newbie's limited understanding is preventing me from finding an understandable answer.

I'm wondering if there is a portable headphone amp with internal DAC that will accept the digital output of an iPod (a 160GB Classic, in my case) and processes the signal with its own DAC.

I just recently learned that it's possibile to extract the iPod's digital signal before it passes to the iPod's own internal DAC (i.e., products like the Pure i20 dock). So I'm wondering if the same thing is done by any portable headphone amps.  I'd appreciate any answers. Thanks a lot.

-Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back