portable Amp/Dac recommendation
Oct 3, 2014 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sergiuo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

I've recently bought my first pair of IEMs MA750 and I'm looking to buy an amp/dac that I will be able to use both for my phone and pc. I'd love some recommendation from you as there are so many options out there I have no idea what I should be looking at. I'd like to get the best out of those IEMs and hopefully in the future I'll be able to upgrade my IEMs too.
The price range for the amp/dac would be around $200-$250 maybe up to $300 if it's really worth it. The music I'm mainly listening to is dnb, techno, dub, hardtek pretty much if it helps and I also like a good bass in my music.

Thank you.

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 15
  try something like E17, it is much cheaper too..

thanks for the reply, I'll keep it in mind, meantime I'd love to hear some other options. Also since I'll be using it for both pc and phone on the go I'd love something portable that'll do the job. I'll soon buy a pair of hd25 that I found on a great deal so something that drives those good is also important. Thank you

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 15
thanks for the reply, I'll keep it in mind, meantime I'd love to hear some other options. Also since I'll be using it for both pc and phone on the go I'd love something portable that'll do the job. I'll soon buy a pair of hd25 that I found on a great deal so something that drives those good is also important. Thank you

If you don't plan on streaming you could always get the fiio x3 and use the usb dac for your laptop

i don't like the sound from the e17. the fiio x1 sounds better imo

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 15
If you don't plan on streaming you could always get the fiio x3 and use the usb dac for your laptop

i don't like the sound from the e17. the fiio x1 sounds better imo

i don't plan on streaming but I'd rather get an amp/dac and keep my music on phone/pc but one from Fiio would be great since I have a local store here that has most of their products.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 15
JDS Labs C5D

I'd say iFi Nano iDSD but it's known to have hiss/noise issues with IEMs. (Unless you're willing to spend extra for iFi's attenuators)

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 15
  JDS Labs C5D

I'd say iFi Nano iDSD but it's known to have hiss/noise issues with IEMs. (Unless you're willing to spend extra for iFi's attenuators)

Hi, both options look rly good only downside is that I can't find any of those on our local shops/websites so only option would be amazon :frowning2:, how much would a ifi attenuator cost? 

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 15
  Hi, both options look rly good only downside is that I can't find any of those on our local shops/websites so only option would be amazon :frowning2:, how much would a ifi attenuator cost? 

I'm actually not even sure how to get the attenuators (I believe you should contact iFi, maybe they can arrange something for you with a nearby dealer). PM them on Head-Fi!! They respond quite fast. Ask them for the price then ask for the closest distributor and if they can ship the attenuator with the nano iDSD. A little more hassle than just purchasing a C5D but I believe the iDSD's DAC section is superior (logically).

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 15

I'm actually not even sure how to get the attenuators (I believe you should contact iFi, maybe they can arrange something for you with a nearby dealer). PM them on Head-Fi!! They respond quite fast. Ask them for the price then ask for the closest distributor and if they can ship the attenuator with the nano iDSD. A little more hassle than just purchasing a C5D but I believe the iDSD's DAC section is superior (logically).

Ah thanks, I'll try that and see how much would cost with shipping to Romania, what about Fiio ? E18 or E12? or dragonfly 1.2 ? those three I could buy from a local store which would be better in case I'll need to send them back to warranty or something 

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 15
  Ah thanks, I'll try that and see how much would cost with shipping to Romania, what about Fiio ? E18 or E12? or dragonfly 1.2 ? those three I could buy from a local store which would be better in case I'll need to send them back to warranty or something 

The Nano iDSD and the C5D should be better than the Dragonfly. The Fiio E12 has the strongest amp section of the 3 but that's just it, a standalone amp section. I haven't heard the DAC section of the Fiio E18. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 15

The Nano iDSD and the C5D should be better than the Dragonfly. The Fiio E12 has the strongest amp section of the 3 but that's just it, a standalone amp section. I haven't heard the DAC section of the Fiio E18. 

Could you tell me how I can find ifi audo's username on head-fi so I can pm them ? also would love to hear some other opinions for an amp/dac combo in this price range $200-350 like I said, im gonna use it with ma750 and hd25

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 15
  Could you tell me how I can find ifi audo's username on head-fi so I can pm them ? also would love to hear some other opinions for an amp/dac combo in this price range $200-350 like I said, im gonna use it with ma750 and hd25

http://www.head-fi.org/u/361812/ifi-audio :)

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 15

http://www.head-fi.org/u/361812/ifi-audio :)

ah, thanks a lot, I tried searching for it but didnt give me any results for some reason :p

On a side note, do you have any idea what my cause some hiss in my iems while listening from my pc? to be precisely there's this hiss only in my right piece and it gets weird when I move my mouse.. and only when I'm using my dedicated soundcard which is a ****ty one, a soundblaster xfi titanium. Also my mouse is not wireless so it doesn't rly make any sense. I even tried moving the card to another slot in my pc but same result.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 15
  ah, thanks a lot, I tried searching for it but didnt give me any results for some reason :p

On a side note, do you have any idea what my cause some hiss in my iems while listening from my pc? to be precisely there's this hiss only in my right piece and it gets weird when I move my mouse.. and only when I'm using my dedicated soundcard which is a ****ty one, a soundblaster xfi titanium. Also my mouse is not wireless so it doesn't rly make any sense. I even tried moving the card to another slot in my pc but same result.

To your problem, no idea. Good luck!!

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Would love some other's opinions before I make the purchase. I'd like to get the best bang for the buck. 
Currently I'm talking with IFI about the Nano iDSD waiting for a price from them since I couldn't find it anywhere nearby. Some other options would be Fiio E17 or E18 or even an X3 or X1 and just use that instead of my phone, I understand I could use X3 as a dac for my PC too. 

What would be the best dac/amp option in the price range of $250-$350 maybe even cheaper options if it's not worth it for the current headphones I have? Like I said I'm going to use it with RHA MA750 and Sennheiser HD25 and I'd like a warm and bassy sound out of it while listening to tech-house, dnb, some rock from time to time but mainly edm music

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back