Portable AMP/DAC for USD 120?
Feb 26, 2009 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

truefalse

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
let's just start with saying I'm quite new here and I'm not really familiar with this AMP/DAC thing. I'm neither some "sound maniac" nor even an audiophile, too.

But, I like good sound
smily_headphones1.gif
So, I have a laptop and, of course, I don't like its sound card so much
mad.gif
That's why I'm looking for an external sound card with decent sound. I'm going to use it in music (40%, mainly alternative rock and metal), movies (30%) and games (30%). I need stereo only!

As I said, I'm not an audiophile, so I'm not ready to spend more than 90 euros which is approx. USD 120 (of course I'm thinking about buying some used unit here).

Another important thing is a portability, since I'm a student and I travel a lot. So I'm going to use it with my NETbook, too, and I don't like this kind of situation when my DAC is bigger than my netbook
smile.gif

I have Fostex T7 headphones with this specs:
Impedance: 70 ohm
Sensitivity: 98dB/mW
Max input level: 100mW.

I guess these are not very well known but I bought'em a few days ago relying on many positive user opinions around the web (a lot of people say they're better than Sennheiser 5**, AKG K240; don't know, I didn't have a chance to compare, but T7 already sound really good to me, even using my integrated sound card).

So I'd like to ask for help: what do i have to look for? Do I even need the AMP or just DAC will do? I've found some interesting and not expensive AMP/DAC options so far:
Go-Vibe Petite
Meier Audio 2Move
iBasso D2 Boa
Leckerton Audio UHA-3

What can you say guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back