portable amp/DAC for Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10
May 10, 2009 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

punkaroo

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I've spent a lot of time on these boards lurking and reading, and my head's spinning!

I see that some portable amp/DAC units are best for big cans, and some are best for IEMs. What's a good choice for the UE Triplefi 10 pros?

That's all. Thanks everyone for another very newb post
tongue_smile.gif

May 10, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 9
LOL; hey there; you are gonna get recommended the same usual suspects as before; but hey; heres my vote for the D10
biggrin.gif
but you know that anyway

May 10, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 9
If you truly plan to use the DAC as well as the AMP then the D10 is IMO the best choice. If size is an issue I preferred the Predator over the Pico or the iBasso D3.

So to recap if you need optical/coaxial/usb w/ an amp go for the D10, provided you can put up w/ the larger size. If size is an issue, go for the RSA Predator provided you only need USB.

May 11, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 9
LOL Hi Jer,

I want to get specifics from people who own the same IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like the features and price of the D10; I figure I could grow into it. My next computer will have optical inputs. But I also like the idea of buying a product made on this continent
smily_headphones1.gif

Argh. Too many choices; not enough money! lol

May 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 9
Is there really a difference in the sound quality of USB vs. optical? What's the diff between the two?

May 14, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 9
absolutely there is a difference; optical and coax are IMO easily superior to USB, not only can you use higher resolution files via spdif (optical or coax) but jitter is far less prevalent. I prefer optical while on the move, and coax at home (not many portable sources with coax) I find optical presents a much airier and natural presentation and also optical is not prone to line noise like USB can be; also takes the cable conductor out of the equation

May 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 9
But if optical is so much better, why is it that so many manufacturers are sticking with USB? Is it due to size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back