Portable amp/dac for MTPC
Jun 28, 2011 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hifianddrumming

500+ Head-Fier
Hello friends :)

I just got my first pair of truly high quality headphones (or earphones rather), the Monster Turbine Pro Copper. I'm amazed at the differences and nuances that I can hear since I switched from my much lower end sennheiser HD280, which I bought simply because I needed a pair of headphones that weren't horrible and I had limited money.

As you can tell, I'm pretty young, and obviously I'm not able to just go out and blow 500$ , but I would really like a headphone amp/dac (the dac being more important as the MTPC are pretty easy to drive). I also live in Dubai, so I have to buy through sites like amazon mostly and have to get them back to me through my dad, who's a pilot.

So, if anyone has any suggestions for a headphone amp/dac between 50$ - 200$ non of that 20$ fiio stuff.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :wink:

P.S. I might start reviewing or video reviewing headphone, after I get a pair of Grados I want. First of all I want to do this to inform people, secondly because it could be one of the only ways to get headphones. If anyone has any suggestion towards other ways to get headphones (not meaning to sound like a complete cheapskate) without having to save up for two years, or any good offers on a pair of Grados (SR325is, RS2i most importantly, but any others would also be appreciated)    :)

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 4
For $60 JDS Labs CMoy 2.03 or Fiio E11.  http://www.jdslabs.com/products.php  No it's not a joke. For $70-$100 try the Digizoid ZO if you are using HO on your DAP and not LO. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks so much :)

I'm going too have to save up for a little bit but at least this won't blow a hole in my wallet.

I'm probably going to come across as REALLY ignorant here but can you please explain the terminology HO and LO? I've actually never heard those terms used before. Sorry :|

Also, another question to anyone else: First of all, would you get the Grado SR325i's, sennheiser HD595, or ultrasone pro 750 ? Amazon has a great deal on the HD595's, the price is at least half of the MSRP, But I'm not sure, because I've heard the sound is more of a "subdued" signature, with, although articulate detail, not enough kick. My second question is, to Anaxilus or anyone who has owned/ had experience with the digizoid ZO, would any of these models be sufficiently driven by this product. I would be using this as less of a portable endeavour so if these can't be driven properly by the digizoid, I would most likely be looking into a desktop amp anyways.

I know that both the Sennheiser and the Grados are both low impedance models, not too sure about the ultrasone.

Just for reference, I prefer a wider soundstage, but it's not a necessity if the sound is clear, articulate and detailed. I listen to some percussion jazz, percussion, and blues, but mainly rock and subgenres of rock (my favorite band is muse, and I also really like oceansize and radiohead, as well as pink floyd). I don't listen to any screamo/ death metal/ metal in general or rap, and I would prefer a sound signature that's somewhat agressive but detailed and immersive.

Again thanks :) I will look into the Digizoid ZO and hopefully will have it by next september.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 4
Disregard last statement, as a desktop amp I'm getting a Schiit lyr and running it through a dac from my computer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back