Portable amp/dac for android & headphones
Jul 28, 2016 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Laeknishendr

New Head-Fier
TLDR Is at bottom

I'm searching for a portable Amp and Dac combo. I've been using Sennheiser Hd 518s for a year or so now, and they've held up to all the music I play through them, so I may get another pair down the road. Some may even say I probably don't need to Amp them or Dac them as they're satisfactory. Well, I can tell the difference between amped an un-amped with these trusty headphones of mine.

I run my music through VLC and recently got an SD card for my android for more music storage. And I can't turn the volume up high enough to satisfying levels unless I turn the gain up on the track, which results in noticeable distortion, mostly in the lower range. I'd like to be able to turn the gain down, bass up slightly since the HD518s open-back design restricts bass volume, then turn volume up. All within reasonable levels of course.

From all the descriptions I've read about other headphones, the HD 518s struck a good balance for me between soundstage, clarity, and also a decent amount of bass reproduction. The fidelity of it's bass extends satisfyingly low enough, while also remaining distinct throughout all of its frequencies across all ranges for me. I believe if I bought anything of a higher tier, I would just be getting diminished returns in price vs performance. Unless I went all out and got HD800s even I'm sure the difference would be pretty good to me, but I'm not paying for that.

That is of course considering I use Foobar2000 with an added 30-band equalizer, turn the 25hz-80hz frequencies up by a lot, then turn down gain, then turn up volume, then the Sennheisers can flex enough to drown out the higher frequency ranges, which of course isn't ideal. But I've experimented enough with the EQ bands to strike a good balance.

It's good plugged into my old Altec Lansing 2.0 satellites i've been using since I was 14, on my current PC, as they have these little built in amplifiers. It's a shame they don't make PC speakers like they used to, as I've yet to experience a good quality set without forking over good chunks of money for an A/V receiver and bookshelf speakers etc etc..

I'm in need of a good amp and dac combo for these headphones, on my Android device. I already bought a short cable for the headphones, even though I wanted the official short version from the Sennheiser website, but it's never in stock which has been ticking me off, and I grew impatient and bought a different one on Amazon; but it works and I notice no difference between the stock and aftermarket ones.

The price range is anywhere between $70-130 USD, for the Amp/Dac. Don't think someone should have to give a lot of money for something to simple. I bought an E10k without knowing it was for home use, and isn't portable and I probably should have done more research, so that was my mistake. Throw me whatever suggestions you have. I can't really give you an idea of what features I would want from it, so go ahead and show me what you think would be a good one.

If I had to name features, I'd like decent battery life and good sound over fancy little stuff that isn't necessary. If I had to give a kind of sound.. Probably something a little warm and if it has bass boosting qualities, preferably bass boosting in the real low frequencies of 25hz-60hz. I don't really like the frequencies between 100hz-200hz, and tend to turn them down a little - if I can - on anything I play music through.

TLDR: Need portable headphone Amp/Dac combo for my HD518's, between $70-130 USD price range. Features would probably be a little warm sound if that's even applicable to this sort of thing. Good battery life, and good sound as well. Doesn't need fancy things like a screen.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 15
What make/model phone do you have? Many flagship smartphones have decent dacs for connecting a headphone amp. If yours does, might as well just get a Fiio A3.

Plus, I think it's a bit of a pain to use a DAC with a phone because you can't charge the phone while using it. So if you don't really need the DAC, too, might as well just get the amp. :)

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 15
I read here a little bit and saw a short conversation on another post about the sampling rates of the onboard dacs on phones can suck some, depending. So, a DAC could alleviate some of the quality reductions, but only some. Still, if there's a gain to be had with the addition of a DAC, I'd like to have it along with the Amp combo.

I use a Motorola Moto G 2015 (3rd gen) model. The onboard DAC in it was the last thing I would have been looking at when I bought it. I bought it for it's gorilla glass 3 screen, its good screen image quality, the nearly stock OS, water resistant capability (water resistant, not water-proof as i know of no phone that is lol), and i thought it was a pretty decent price etc etc blah blah. Though, if Motorola's new phones under Lenovo aren't at least up to par with the previous 2 gens when they were under Google ownership, I'll probably be switching over to Nexus devices.

I have no clue on the quality of its DAC.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 15
Your Moto G's output looks really good when connected to an external amp:

http://www.gsmarena.com/moto_g_3rd_gen-review-1281p6.php

The IMD+Noise levels are very low.

THD and crosstalk ratings are even better than your E10K:
http://fiio.net/en/products/27/parameters

Your phones specs are pretty similar to my Note 5. And I wouldn't invest in a DAC to use with my phone. I would recommend going with the Fiio A3. Then save your money toward better headphones. There are headphones in the ~$200 range that could significantly improve on your HD 518. That's your better upgrade rather than sinking more money into electronics.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 15
Thank you a lot for that info. It gave me insight into things i didnt know of. Im glad my budget phone has good sound on it. Ill probably go for this amp then perhaps.

What could you elaborate on for the amp in question though? Have you owned it, and if so whst did you think of its sound?

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 15
I haven't owned the A3, but I have demoed it. It's a good amp for the money.

The important factor in choosing an amp is to get one that can easily power the headphones you want to use with it. The A3 will work plenty well with the HD 518 and lots of other headphones. *If* the amp has enough power, the sound improvement difference between that $70 amp and a $200 amp would be small. You might even find it so negligible that you wouldn't care at all. Whereas the sound improvement between your HD518 and a $200 set of headphones (assuming you find the one that fits your sound preferences) would be much, much bigger and you would definitely notice improvement. Same with a DAC. You probably would notice a little improvement, but headphone upgrades are where the best bang for the buck comes from, by far :)

So save your money for a future headphone upgrade.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 15
I think you'll enjoy the A3 since you said you like some extra bass. It has a bass boost switch directly on the amp itself that you can use.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 15
Yeah i will. But ill also be tinkering with the tracks gain, and low frequency EQs as well to get a good set and see how it is. If i bass boost by EQing i always make sure i turn the gain down to where it gives no distortion,and set my playback volume low and slowly increase to see how it sands up. Ive done it on my PC and i can turn the headphones up loud enough once where the drivers were flexing too hard, so i figured out the limits and re-set them accordingly.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 15
Until they flex? That's pretty loud :) If you are adding a good bit of bass boost, then you are definitely a candidate for a headphone with a bit more bass emphasis if/when you upgrade.

If you want a good review of the A3 to find out more, read this one: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-kilimanjaro-2-e11k-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/14277. The E11K is the A3. Fiio renamed their amps for some reason. And the reviewer is excellent because he tries to be very objective and detailed with everything.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 15
When i mean flex, i mean by flexing so much back and fourth, that i can hear the drivers hitting against the housing, or pushing them too hard. When i get close to this level of undistorted bass levels and high volume, it drowns out all the other frequencies some. So, i made sure i set the EQ and gain right and dont play too loud.

Because yeah i could destroy the drivers in these things with loads of undistorted bass if i wanted to but i obviously dont want that.

The increases in bass are about 8db or around there with one of my EQ presets. I chose to stick with the headphones, considering the 558s and 598s existences out there, and reading they have a little less bass and more in the mids and highs. So i felt like the 518s would be great.

If i move up, id expect all the qualities i get now, to get better. I wanted a good bass presence that extends quite low, and these can push down to 25hz but have to play lower or risk damage. They also of course were going to have good sound stage, and a good even reproduction of mids and highs so its more clear than anything ive heard, as these are my first GOOD cans.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 15
I guess what i mean is.. the headphones naturally do well with its mids and highs and good sound stage, thanks to design. But its design causes a lsck of bass volume. Bass at almost all levels is tight, it sounds controlled and not muddy. Bass was never my emphases for the cans. This is just me trying to remedy its naturally low levels of bass.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 15
When i mean flex, i mean by flexing so much back and fourth, that i can hear the drivers hitting against the housing, or pushing them too hard. When i get close to this level of undistorted bass levels and high volume, it drowns out all the other frequencies some. So, i made sure i set the EQ and gain right and dont play too loud.

I knew what you meant :)

If i move up, id expect all the qualities i get now, to get better. I wanted a good bass presence that extends quite low, and these can push down to 25hz but have to play lower or risk damage. They also of course were going to have good sound stage, and a good even reproduction of mids and highs so its more clear than anything ive heard, as these are my first GOOD cans.

Then one day, you might want the HE-400i. Planar magnetics have amazing transient response for bass. Here is how those measure: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4002014.pdf. Can you say linear to 10hz and uber low distortion :D

However, they are a pain to drive and are not a good choice for portable amps at all for someone that likes it loud. They need a desktop amp in that case.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 15
Yeah my friend showed me stuff like that before. I could settlr with something lesser than though lol

Ive always wanted a good speaker set up too, but thats where things get complicated. I have a lot of requirements there for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back