Portable Amp: Charge while listening.
Jan 9, 2014 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MemoryLeak

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have been stalking this place for a while now absorbing as much as I can. I was looking at some of the FiiO offerings like the E12. While watching some reviews people mention that with the E11 you can not listen while charging. I am not sure if this is also true for the E12. I do not need a DAC as my laptop (MacBook Pro, Intel HDA) handles 32-bit/192kHz. I do not see an Amp/DAC combo in this range, like the E07K or E17 outperforming the Intel. But PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. So is there a portable Amp that I can have plugged in, charging if needed, and listen at the same time?

Also, I do not have any cans yet. I am looking at A900X, DT770, and similar closed back's. I do have a pair of XB800's I got from a buddy that works at sony for 75% off retail...not too bad for ~$40 but they got me itching for something that can represent music better hehe.

TYIA,

-ML

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 9
Are you sure this is true for the Fiio? What if you use a USB AC charger instead of plugging the USB into your computer?

That was just what I heard in a review, came here for clarification as there is nothing on the FiiO site regarding it. I did end up ordering an E12, so I will report back if you would like.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 9
According to http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e12-mont-blanc/reviews/8449, yes, it can be used while charging, unlike the E11.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 9
  According to http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e12-mont-blanc/reviews/8449, yes, it can be used while charging, unlike the E11.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. I am pretty excited. :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 9
No problem. I have an E11 and only until I used it for awhile did I realize that it couldn't be charged while using it...  Win some lose some.  :)  At least the E11 has a removable battery that I can take advantage of if I need to.  Enjoy the E12!

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Well I got the E12, and some DT-770's at a decent price. Then I ripped the cans apart to rewire for some aesthetics, added a jack and built a matching cable. Enjoying them so far!

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 9
+1 on the Fiio E12
You can't find a better sounding portabile amp at this price level.
Enjoy your new gear!!

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 9
+1 on the Fiio E12
You can't find a better sounding portabile amp at this price level.
Enjoy your new gear!!

Thanks! Really enjoying everything so far. The itch for gear is coming on strong though, hopefully I can hold out for a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back