Portable Amp + built-in EQ
Jun 5, 2009 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

s_nyc

100+ Head-Fier
Does that exist? I think I would be happy to pay a bit more for an EQ function in a portable amp in order to avoid my iPod awful presets... That would actually be terrific.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you just remove the presets?

It's already on EQ off position but I'd like to be able to use a proper external EQ/amp (if that exists of course) with an iPod classic.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find a Rockboxable DAP, problem solved.

Thanks but for various reasons, I'll stick with the Classic.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 11
If they're still being sold - Xenos did a rather nice portable amp that easily drives Sennheiser HD650's. I have one and it's really quite good. It has bass and treble controls on it. It's quite large and battery life is very low because it delivers a lot of power but on rechargeables, it's no big deal or you can just plug it in.

Ian

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 11
To answer his question, no there is no high quality portable amp with an EQ built in. Don't let people talk you out of wanting one either.

Every time I ask a question like this about a dozen audio purists want to talk me out of ever using an EQ or tell me to buy different head phones. Or tell me "Why don't you just do this" or "why don't you just do that?"

In which my answer is "Why doesn't someone just make a higher end portable amp with an EQ?"

Some of us like to use an EQ it is a personal choice purists should get over how others listen to their music.

Now you have two options and one of them sucks

this is a portable amp with an EQ but it sounds terrible, the hiss is so loud it is like listening to a cassette, I bought this one just to see if it worked at all

4124dZb2J7L._SS500_.jpg

The next option below which I own is the Practial Devices XM5, A great portable amp that has a Treble and a Bass boost which is about as close as you will get to a higher end portable amp with an EQ, this is about 300$ fully loaded but sounds great

index.php

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The next option below which I own is the Practial Devices XM5, A great portable amp that has a Treble and a Bass boost which is about as close as you will get to a higher end portable amp with an EQ, this is about 300$ fully loaded but sounds great

index.php

I almost put my 2 cents in for the XM5 but it's not as good as Rockbox for ultimate EQ tweaking...love the blinking, flashy lights tho
tongue_smile.gif
...really, it's a fun amp to play with.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 11
X2 Practical devices X5, and GoVibe Magnum which has a bass control. I have looked in vain for something similar to what you ask.

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Excellent, thanks all for the answers. I am at least happy to see that I am not the only one searching for this. Now if the likes of RSA, Headamp, etc. can read this thread, they will know that there a new niche market that has just opened!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back