portable amp/audio setup suggestions
Oct 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Wydz

Head-Fier
I have a $300ish budget and have decided to go with either the ATH M50's or Sennheiser HD380 Pro, now I need to find an amp, and am in need of some help.

I've narrowed it down to everything FiiO, and heres the set up I have in mind

FiiO e6 (for fun with my phone/ipad)
E09K/E07K combo for my desk
M50's or HD 380 Pros

I'm currently using an HP G7-2323DX Laptop, so can anyone help me out with my choice and why?

with the M50's, my ears from top to bottom are 2.5inches roughly, will the m50's fit me fine?

(This is a repost because I was told to post my first post here instead of elsewhere

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 29
You might consider just getting the Fiio E17 and spend the rest of your budget on headphones.
You might find something a little better then the ATH-M50 & HD380 Pros.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 29
  You might consider just getting the Fiio E17 and spend the rest of your budget on headphones.
You might find something a little better then the ATH-M50 & HD380 Pros.

I was looking at the DT770s as well, I just hate the way they are shaped and they feel weird to me

any reason for just going the E17 route?

Edit: also, why are the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm cheaper than the 80 ohm?

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 29
I was looking at the DT770s as well, I just hate the way they are shaped and they feel weird to me

any reason for just going the E17 route?

Edit: also, why are the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm cheaper than the 80 ohm?
The 250's always run cheaper, reason. The 80's out sale them by a large margin as the 80's can be used more easy with DAPS and home setups without the need for a big amp. The 250's need an amp to shine. So sellers price the 250 lower hoping they can get more sales.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 29
The 250's always run cheaper, reason. The 80's out sale them by a large margin as the 80's can be used more easy with DAPS and home setups without the need for a big amp. The 250's need an amp to shine. So sellers price the 250 lower hoping they can get more sales.

Out of the M50's, HD 380 Pro, or DT 770 Pro 80's, which would you recommend?

gunna go to guitarcenter on friday on my break and try all of them on

edit: on beyers website, they offer "with or without" limiter, what does this mean?

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 29
Out of the M50's, HD 380 Pro, or DT 770 Pro 80's, which would you recommend?

gunna go to guitarcenter on friday on my break and try all of them on

edit: on beyers website, they offer "with or without" limiter, what does this mean?
Hands down the Beyers are the best of the bunch, The Beyers are heading into Mi-Fi the others, entry level. (Senns price puts it in Mid-Fi but sound is entry Imo) Try them out Guitar Center. I think the Limiter actually limits the output volume?

I take it you're in the US since you are heading to GS, You can get the 80's on ebay for $169 I just bought another set like a week ago. Also if you have Paypal and open a credit line with Bill Me Later you get 6 months no interest and $10 cash back, the cash back takes about 2 days and is in the form of a credit. So your statement will be for a total $159.
You can buy here: Same store I got min, 2 days shipped to my door free.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-80-Closed-Back-Studio-Headphones-DT770-DT770-80-/131008422780?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item1e80b5e37c

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 29
Hands down the Beyers are the best of the bunch, The Beyers are heading into Mi-Fi the others, entry level. (Senns price puts it in Mid-Fi but sound is entry Imo) Try them out Guitar Center. I think the Limiter actually limits the output volume?

if im gunna spend $220 on Beyers, will an E6 be enough to power them? atleast until i can get a pricier DAC?

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 29
if im gunna spend $220 on Beyers, will an E6 be enough to power them? atleast until i can get a pricier DAC?
see my edit above, $220 is too much....The E6 will work but E11 is a better deal. The Beyers even at 80ohm is really easy to drive. Out of my ipod I get enough volume. At home I use an M-Stage, but a big amp is not really needed. The E11 is only a few more $ then the E6..If you are on a tight budget the E6 will work, but I'd spring for the E11.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 29
Here is the E11, Micca is a US dealer. This is thier package deal. You get a spare Battery charger etc...It's only a few $ more then just the E11 but worth it for all the extras.
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Accessory-Charger/dp/B004QVPGXK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380778934&sr=8-2&keywords=fiio+e11

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 29
see my edit above, $220 is too much....The E6 will work but E11 is a better deal. The Beyers even at 80ohm is really easy to drive. Out of my ipod I get enough volume. At home I use an M-Stage, but a big amp is not really needed. The E11 is only a few more $ then the E6..If you are on a tight budget the E6 will work, but I'd spring for the E11.

ive never bought anything from ebay. how are the quality on them? BRAND new? havent clicked your link yet

and yeah, if i can find them around $160 ill spring for the E11

edit: yeah, thats the E11 I have open right now

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 29
ive never bought anything from ebay. how are the quality on them? BRAND new? havent clicked your link yet

and yeah, if i can find them around $160 ill spring for the E11

edit: yeah, thats the E11 I have open right now
Yes, Brand spanking new, Not B-Stock either...Lowest $ I've found the 80's, I'm always after a deal :D

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 29
Yes, Brand spanking new, Not B-Stock either...Lowest $ I've found the 80's, I'm always after a deal
biggrin.gif

I listen to everything, and youre gunna laugh, but currently im using x12s for music (lol)

I listen to metal, heavy metal, country, rap, r/b, techno, MAYBE some dubstep.

Will the beyers still be perfect for me? im by no means an audiophile, as to me the x12s sound  fine to me lol

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 29
I listen to everything, and youre gunna laugh, but currently im using x12s for music (lol)

I listen to metal, heavy metal, country, rap, r/b, techno, MAYBE some dubstep.

Will the beyers still be perfect for me? im by no means an audiophile, as to me the x12s sound  fine to me lol
Yes, I think you'll be happy. The Beyers are pretty good All-Rounders for music. Classical might be out, but I don't listen to it myself. I'm more 70's/80's Rock/Metal, Blues and Jazz. And they work well with all..Not really into Rap/RnB anymore, but for sure the Beyers work well with those styles.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 29
Yes, I think you'll be happy. The Beyers are pretty good All-Rounders for music. Classical might be out, but I don't listen to it myself. I'm more 70's/80's Rock/Metal, Blues and Jazz. And they work well with all..Not really into Rap/RnB anymore, but for sure the Beyers work well with those styles.

Awesome! just gotta try them on now and hopefully i like them :D

Do they rest on your ears? or do your ears go inside them?

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 29
Awesome! just gotta try them on now and hopefully i like them :D

Do they rest on your ears? or do your ears go inside them?
Full over ear, comfort is top notch, you can wear them all day and never have problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back