portable amp around $100
Sep 23, 2005 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

unkoman

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking for a portable amp around$100 to use with my e4 and ipod that I will I get in the near future.I've been looking at the go-vibe mk3 and portaphile X2. I've searched around the forum but I couldnt find any reveiws or comment about portaphile X2. The price difference between the two is very close and wondering if the poratphile is worth $15 more than the vibe.

Thanks

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 11
Haven't heard the Portaphile, but here's a word in for the go-vibe... if you like quality and simplicity (with as little junk as possible in the signal path), it's a good choice. Also, Norm of Headsave is a good guy to deal with. And the ability to "roll" opamps is rare at this price point.

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Haven't heard the Portaphile, but here's a word in for the go-vibe... if you like quality and simplicity (with as little junk as possible in the signal path), it's a good choice. Also, Norm of Headsave is a good guy to deal with. And the ability to "roll" opamps is rare at this price point.

second the go-vibe. been quite happy with my ipod/go-vibe/er6i setup. do it before the end of the month to get the extra opamp for free...norm's a good guy, too. haven't heard the portaphile but have heard good things about it, so you probably can't go wrong either way.

Sep 23, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 11
How are the treble and bass response of the vibe? I'm really sensitive to rolled off highs and lows, especially in the 40-hz and 17+khz zone. Most portable dap headphone outs have roll off issues on both end, and that is why I'm considering an amp for my portable set up.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 11
Found another amp that fits in my budget: the Mini head AKA mini moy. I read a review that compared vibe and mini moy and the reviewer stated that mini moy outperformed the vibe in sound q, but vibe has the advantage of opamp rolling.

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Haven't heard the Portaphile, but here's a word in for the go-vibe... if you like quality and simplicity (with as little junk as possible in the signal path), it's a good choice.

That's right, sometimes less is more!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkoman
How are the treble and bass response of the vibe? I'm really sensitive to rolled off highs and lows, especially in the 40-hz and 17+khz zone. Most portable dap headphone outs have roll off issues on both end, and that is why I'm considering an amp for my portable set up.

Thanks

Depends a lot on the opamp... the AD8620 has excellent extension in both directions. Also depends on the headphones -- I believe the go-vibe matches better with high impedance cans because of its lack of buffers, but Norm himself is a Grado guy and his philosophy is "no buffers."

The go-vibe itself is so simple that there's nothing in it that could roll off frequencies... no input capacitors, etc.

P.S. I'd take comparisons between go-vibe and Cmoys with a grain of salt, because you can't easily compare a commercial amp with a DIY amp. DIY stuff is different every time, and the reviewer may have simply preferred the opamp used for it over the one in the go-vibe.

Sep 24, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 11
If you stretch the budget a little you can get the Xenos 3HA ($129.99). Mine is just about to arrive (hopefully
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 11
I bought a Mini Head (through Ebay) for 85.00 shipped. I am very impressed with the way it sounds with my Ipod->PocketDock->Mini Head->Shure E4Cs. I get about 2 weeks worth of normal usage out of the amp before it needs a new battery (I estimate about 30 hours). The amp is very small/portable, and built like a tank. Might be worth checking out for your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back