portable amp and headphones for electric guitar
Feb 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Head_case

500+ Head-Fier
does anyone here play electric guitar? I play acoustic but need a silent option before I get kicked out of home...always wanted an electric anyway.... Is it possible to hook my Milletts portable amp or Pico slim to some portable guitar pre amp without the big black boom box? If you have a portable headphone setup for your guitar i'd love to hear!

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

I have a little Vox headphone amp which plugs straight into the guitar socket (no cables need) and then I plug headphones into that. It has power on/off, gain, tone, and volume controls as well as an aux in so it's versatile enough for most things. Here's the link- http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/

And there's a picture. They have different models available, ie AC30, classic rock etc. I have the AC30 and for the price of £30ish it sounds quite nice! Cons are- it's only a fairly basic thing, and the headphone wire(s) can sometimes get in the way if you don't tuck it out the way.
I don't think you'd need a headphone amp as well if you decide to go down this route, but I'd be interested to see if you can hear a difference (I'd do the comparison myself, but don't have an amp
redface.gif
)
To answer your first question- yes! I've been playing for only a couple of years and have a Gibson SG at the moment.

Hope this helped,
-Joe

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Many thanks - wow has it been that long since I was last here!

The Vox portable amps are okay - not the best but great for practice. 

I ended up with a Yamaha THR5 practice amp which has a headphone socket which the guitar plugs into.

It works very well and feels more alive than the Vox headphone only option but isn't as portable as the mini Vox.

Best wishes 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back