Portable amp advice request
Oct 17, 2007 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tonyl59

100+ Head-Fier
As a new "boy" (!) to this excellent site (and it's reassuring to know there are other people in the world who share my interest), I was hoping to get some opinions on a change of portable amp. I find amps generally aren't so easy to come by in the UK.

I have an 80gb iPod 5.5, ALO Cotton dock, Headroom Total Airhead (recent) and UE Triple.Fi 10s (SE). I recently started reripping my music to ALAC (previously EAC + Lame extreme), so I suspect I'll be looking at 160gb Classic soon. In the mean time, with increased enthusiasm fuelled mainly by Head-Fi, I would like to replace my portable amp.

One that appeals is the Corda Move. Based on various reviews (esp. Skylab's - thanks) and price to the UK this seems attractive, although at the moment I can't foresee any need for the DAC. I'm not overly concerned about size, but would like something with enough juice to power my Beyer DT990s as well.

Do you think I'll notice an improvement from the Airhead?

I appreciate any views/recommendations etc.

Thanks.

Tony

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Just a sidenote, have you seen the HeadSix...it's the Move's little brother.

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 11
Just on the verge of ordering the Corda Move (after much Head-fi reading!).

Any reason not to with my setup (Triple-fis etc)? Most of all, is it likely to be a clear improvement over my Total Airhead?

Many thanks for your opinions!

Tony

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 11
Why didn't you go with Meier's new amp if you don't need the DAC?
Smaller and 100 hours battery life.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 11
Went for the move over the Headsix mainly because I was unsure about whether the lack of high current capability would be a compromise (albeit potentially small). Anyway, I didn't want to be constantly wondering whether it would have made an improvement! Battery life and size are not the main drivers for me.

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 11
You will be happy with the Move. I have not been a fan of portable amps I have heard in the past, including Headroom's offerings, mainly because of the poor price/performance tradeoff relative to home amps. However, the Move really is something special in the portable arena -- it has terrific SQ at a great price. For IEMs you may want to fiddle between high and low gain on the Move (per Dr. Meier's instructions that come with the amp). It should even power your DT990s nicely (although a good home amp with dedicated power supply would be better suited to the 990s.)

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #11 of 11
Well, I got my Move yesterday. It must have been one of the last ones, as Jan Meier said a new one would be out in 4 - 5 months. I've absolutely no regrets, as this is a major improvement on my Total Airhead!

I am absolutely delighted with this amp; it sounds wonderful. It's superbly detailed, expansive sounding, and everything I listen to really draws me in. I keep my iPod on 'shuffle all', and now I find I'm listening to every track from start to finish, rather than skipping through constantly, trying to find something to give me that 'wow' factor.

Superb service and correspondence from Dr Meier, and a beautifully made and packaged product - thanks!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back